Client: A leading Oil & Gas exploration and production company in Australia
Services: An explorer, developer, producer and supplier of energy
Geographies: Australia, the Asia-Pacific region, the Atlantic margins, and sub-Saharan Africa
In their digital transformation journey, the client was faced with twin issues of – declining performance of hardware infrastructure accompanied by inaccurate Configuration Management Database (CMDB) detailing of the hardware and software component relationships. The growing numbers of End of Life and End of Support services required the company to uplift existing live network to a smarter environment. As a part of the modernization initiative, the client thus decided to move from Nexus-based, legacy infrastructure to state of the art new solution hosted out of its newly built headquarters. Also, migration of entire business and IT services from existing to target data centres required seamless transition, ensuring absolutely zero interruption of the everyday operational processes. Risk management was key as there was little or no scope for roll-back as part of migration.
Wipro was chosen to drive this engagement as a consulting partner, conducting a detailed discovery exercise to identify the end of Life and end of support devices. It also built a Risk management plan to track and remediate risks in the estate. A detailed communication, change, and handover process was developed and adhered to achieve flawless execution.
- Cisco ACI-based network infrastructure
- Migration of services from legacy data centre to state-of-the-art data centre at new headquarters
- Design and build Hyper converged DELL EMC ScaleIO Infrastructure to host VMWare based virtual environment
Wipro’s approach to the program helped the client achieve a smooth and steady migration of DC processes with utmost professionalism, thus driving cost and operational efficiencies at the organization infrastructure. Diligent tracking and issues management throughout the program provided accurate reporting and effective solutions to remediate risks in the estate. Some benefits are as below:
- Recommended accurate and effective solutions to remediate risks in the estate
- Early reporting of issues and reporting resulted in effective management of issues rather than keeping it to the last minute
- Design, plan, and execution was flawless throughout the engagement due to strong review mechanism at all stages of the program
- Highly stable DC infrastructure with improved documentation
- Recommendations were provided to reduce current footprint through optimization initiatives. 15%– 20% physical footprint was reduced through this exercise
- The legacy network architecture was upgraded to Cisco ACI driven Software Defined Network (SDN) architecture, leading to a ~30% increase of infrastructural performance
- Services were migrated from legacy DC to state-of-the-art DC at the new HQ
- ~20% overall reduction in monitoring and management of IT services
With this migration program, the client achieved a 30% improvement in infrastructural performance and a significant reduction in physical footprint.
Anshul Sarin, General Manager(APJ), Cloud and Infrastructure Services