Client: O&G supermajor with annual revenue of $100 Bn+ and operations in more than 60 countries
Services: Globally engaged in exploration and production, refining, distribution and marketing, petrochemicals, power generation and trading.
The senior subject matter experts (SMEs) of an Oil and Gas supermajor spent a disproportionate amount of time on data related tasks rather than on their primary analytical work. More than 60% of their office time was consumed in data management and non-value adding activities, leaving only 40% of useful working hours. Employee productivity and business performance was severely impacted on a regular basis. Data management at individual offices was as good as the local personnel could make it. Each client office asserted its own quality rules, resulting in variable data quality across the enterprise. The Oil and Gas supermajor decided to focus on core business activities and less on rote service provision. The upstream business in North America and Europe needed data management and petro-technical application support. The company decided to embark on a journey to achieve process excellence, standardization, quality assurance and cost improvement in their data management functions through third party assistance.
Wipro partnered with the client to transform support for upstream data and applications. A multi-step project was defined that reflected client business priorities. Wipro delivered data management and application services while assisting the client through each stage of the project.
Wipro set up remote service provision and enabled the company to transition to a global service delivery model by establishing a centralized global service desk that operates during the business hours of all sites.
The result of the managed service is a well-defined price for global services that incorporates optimized allocation of resources, best practices, process standardization and continuous improvement across the spectrum of services and processes.
Wipro partnered with the client to transform and redefine the way seismic, borehole, well and production data management and application support is provided for over 1,000 users. Wipro helped the Oil and Gas supermajor achieve 30% cost improvement in subsurface data management and application support.
Martin Cooper - Geoscience Data Management Consultant, Wipro Limited.