Client: An energy company
Industry type: Energy generation
Products/core business: Provider of electricity, natural gas, broadband, solar and renewable energy
Geography: New Zealand
The client was running outdated versions of SAP such as NetWeaver 7.02 and wanted to upgrade to the latest version (NW7.5). They wanted to take a phased approach and migrate the SAP landscape to Windows on AWS Cloud and then upgrade ERP Central Component (ECC), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Process Integration (PI) and Enterprise Portal (EP). Besides, they also wanted to complete the migration and upgrade with a single downtime for Business Warehousing (BW) components, with source systems running on Oracle, to HANA DB using the SAP Data Migration Option (DMO).
As a SAP Competency Partner with AWS, coupled with expertise in handling large-scale migrations, Wipro executed the entire engagement in two phases—in line with the client’s expectation—with minimum risk and single downtime window.
- Phase 1
- Migration of existing SAP applications (ECC, CRM, PI, EP and BW) to Windows on AWS Cloud and SQL DB
- Migration of complete Solution Manager and its existing functionalities to the new landscape
- Implementation of system monitoring and end-user experience monitoring
- Integration and performance testing after migration
- Building a parallel landscape for upgrade
- Phase 2
- Upgrade from NW 7.02 to NW 7.5
- Volume test and optimization for stability
The client successfully upgraded and migrated its SAP landscape to AWS cloud in a phased approach with minimized risk and single downtime window.
- Not a single production ECC outage reported during 4 weeks of hyper-care
- Multi-channel foundation for the client setup successfully
- High availability setup for SQL DB
“Migrating SAP applications to AWS looks simple, especially because AWS has preset SAP solution packages. But to guarantee migration in a single downtime and, follow it with an upgrade needs considerable planning, expertise and right SAP competency. This engagement underpins our ‘business first’ approach where Wipro executed the entire engagement to meet the customer’s expectations in two phases with minimum risk.”
-Satish Raghammudi General Manager, Global Delivery and Automation Services, SAP Practice, Wipro Limited.