Client: Leading European FMCG firm
Industry: Food processing
Area of operation: Global
Products: Baby food, coffee, dairy products, breakfast cereals, confectionery, bottled water, ice cream, pet foods, etc.
Revenue: CHF 91.43 billion
The client’s IT environment comprised over 42,000 VDI users who were using an in-house legacy platform and struggling with a mediocre user experience. User access at the corporate level was device-centric with local profiles and policies being used to access applications and data. Moreover, disparate upgrade projects for hardware, software, devices, and applications were being carried out across the organization. As a result of the fragmented and siloed IT environment, onboarding time ran up to two to four weeks. Application provisioning took one to two weeks, which also delayed user productivity and hampered the organization’s overall growth. The client was looking for a partner who could deploy Desktop-as-a-service and modernize the IT environment, without disrupting business.
Wipro stepped in as the preferred partner and delivered Desktop-as-a-service to drive a better user experience. Virtual desktop infrastructure was introduced to the customer with the deployment of Citrix XenApp to deliver apps-as-secure-mobile-service, optimized by type of device.
The main features of the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure solution implemented were:
- A centralised management, administration and delivery of Windows-based applications enabling a single administration and delivery of services with historical trending and correlation features to facilitate capacity planning and service level assurance
- A remote desktop protocol from the internal and external network with different devices and with many compelling benefits for increasing manageability, performance, and security of user desktops/PCs.
- Support of five generations of Windows OS minimizing migration challenges
- Consideration of requirements to support the customer in the Virtual Desktop Technology development and progressive extension to new user profiles categories, with consequent increase of volumes, network traffic, security, and privacy issues.
- Monitoring tools and proposed synergies between the outcome-based platform and VDI technology set up with cost benefits
- Leveraging Wipro’s expertise, the client was able to:
- Create a consumption/outcome-based model that provided predictability of cash flows and service assurance.
- Reduce onboarding time to 2 to 4 hours and application provisioning time to 1-2 minutes, significantly enhancing the user experience.
- Achieve 30% cost savings over five years and avoid 40% of surplus costs.
- Flexible & scalable: Implement an evergreen IT roadmap for continuous ongoing improvements.
- Increase security through monitoring tools around the architecture helped increase performance, high user experience and ease around troubleshooting;
- Provide a remote access solution in HA to the VDI system management
- Backup, disaster recovery and high availability of HA solutions reduced the risk of fault on the architecture