In our POC assessments, the solution has delivered all aspects of intent-based tooling for the basic building block of Infrastructure, i.e. server workloads.
- Managing scale – Currently, there is lack of a centralized console that provides a unified view of agents on a single server and how the lifecycle actions of the agents are orchestrated. The solution packages server agents into a management module to provide a central tooling that provisions and govern end-to-end management of server agents at web scale. Its master node is capable of managing 10,000 nodes without any increase in management roles.
- Managing user experience – The solution’s built-in automation features allow for the definition of templates to deploy agents as per the needs of business units, location or target-hosting platforms. It can also run and execute custom scripts for triggering specific actions during bootstrapping or according to defined event thresholds. Fully interoperable with existing automation tools, it integrates with Chef, Puppet, Ansible and Cloud native automation technologies, while its rich CIO dashboards, security insight and workload health reports deliver relevant information to targeted groups.
- Managing cloud – The solution works seamlessly across on-premise, public and private cloud environments. Its primary objective is to ensure consistency and predictability in management - regardless of the hosting platform. It achieves this by packaging different server agents into a consistent format that abstracts the intricacies of managing the agents from different technology teams into a single packaging management team.
- Managing Security – As one of the core tenets of intent-based tooling, security is infused into the unique open-innovation based solution. :
a. Desired state management – It manages a version repository of deployed agents blueprint. In case of new agent version mishap or inconsistencies, the solution can revert to previous agent version blueprint with just a few clicks.
b. Role based access management (RBAC) – With a built-in RBAC module, it helps IT organization segregate their super users from readers and contributors, with specific actions allowed as per their access level. This brings down the attack surface area drastically.
c. Patching management – It offers a single tool to patch both Windows and Linux servers with dependency mapping, cross subscription patching and compliance reporting.
Wipro’s open innovation-based solution for ITOM: Use cases
The use cases and areas where the solution can bring disruptive transformation abound.
- ITOM management – The core premise of keeping a centralized console for all agents lifecycle is a powerful proposition and a primary use case.
- Cloud migration – An important requisite of cloud migration is re-configuration of server agents on the target environment, without breaking operational controls. The solution integrates with Azure Site Recovery (ASR) and other leading migration tools to introduce new Azure management services or port existing enterprise server management tools into Azure with full control.
- Patch Management – Another interesting case that we are currently prototyping in one of the environment using a patch module of the solution as a full-fledged product in its own right.
Infusing intent offers massive potential for simplifying ITOM complexity and enhancing the security posture of an enterprise. Wipro’s open innovation-based ITOM solution conforms to the fundamental principles of intent-based tooling by approaching its target base at web-scale, acknowledging cloud abstraction as the new normal, and embracing policy-based automation. It also secures ring fencing of the server management domain. In our opinion, this is the paradigm of new ITOM that operates at a hitherto unseen level of abstraction.