Client: Natural gas and propane pipeline transport company
Industry: Petroleum industry
Area of operations: United States
Number of employees: Over 10,000
The client’s IT infrastructure deployment process was manual, error-prone and time consuming. They were looking for a solution that would help them automate their infrastructure deployment process across multiple environments – physical, virtual and cloud. The overall objectives were to:
- Build an automation and desired state management platform to improve the efficiency of the operating system (OS)instance provisioning operatio
- Automate infrastructure provisioning and deployment process for 500+ nodes across their hybrid IT (vSphere, Azure cloud and physical platforms)
- Develop an architecture for the OS patch management which could meet compliance and business requirements
Wipro assessed the client’s environment and processes in terms of readiness and feasibility to implement the automation solution from infrastructure, security and compliance perspective. Based on the findings, Wipro designed and built an automated and desired state management platform for the client using Chef Infra.
Key highlights of the engagement:
- Enabled automated deployment of multiple agents for patch deployment, backup, anti-virus, OS, app and hardware monitoring
- Enabled automated deployments across physical, virtual and cloud environments
- Leveraged Chef cookbooks for automating services
The automated and desired state management platform empowered the client to improve the efficiency of their deployments and enabled an agile infrastructure to meet compliance and business requirements.
The solution enabled the client to achieve:
- Enhanced efficiency through automation of infrastructure deployments using Infrastructure as Code
- 100% reduction in errors caused by manual intervention
- Compliant IT environments
- Enhanced consistency and reliability of environments across multiple nodes
- Agility due to automated deployments
“Automation of the client’s infrastructure deployment process through Infrastructure as Code resulted in significant impact in terms of time to market, compliance and scalability across their heterogeneous IT environment"
– Harish Krishnan, General Manager, Cloud Infrastructure Services, Wipro