The private cloud solution leverages hyper-converged infrastructure, automation, and orchestration layer to drive agility and reduce datacenter complexity
Client: A large government-owned bank
Area of Operations: India
Number of employees: Over 30000
The primary goal of the bank was to deliver agility for aggressive releases of digital applications through DevOps. Apart from this, the bank also wanted to standardize its IT infrastructure services, boost application uptime for its employees and other internal customers, simplify datacenter infrastructure management and enable self-service of IT infrastructure resources for end users.
The private cloud solution was also expected to bolster its security posture to protect backups from malicious attacks and safeguard the internal data environment as per the banking industry norms.
Wipro set up a private cloud solution with software-defined datacenter (SDDC) principles leveraging hyper-converged infrastructure (HCIS), automation, and orchestration layer. The end-to-end solution spanned planning, design, implementation, and managed services of private cloud.
- Deployed HCIS based on scale out architecture to simplify compute, storage, network and hypervisor management
- Deployed Cloud Management Portal over the HCIS infrastructure to enable IT to publish standardized and policy based IT infrastructure service catalog that end users could access through a self-service portal and self-provision resources within minutes
- Created an identical setup across both DC (Active) and DR (Passive). Enabled Host level replication to ensure 30 minutes Recovery Point Objective between the sites
- Implemented airgap-based backup solution to enable the isolation of the backup disk device when there is no backup being stored, thereby adding an additional security layer to protect backups from malicious attacks
The Wipro private cloud solution based on Nutanix HCI delivered business and IT benefits. The bank gained operational efficiencies, flexible scaling, freedom from risks associated with forecasting and above all, end user empowerment. Apart from the holistic gain, a few key benefits were:
- 2x faster application releases to start with - eventually aimed towards 6-10x faster releases aligned to go to market strategy
- Invisible IT infrastructure to deliver business agility – Just in time IT
- A platform to support subscription-based model for the future
- Increase in application uptime
- Reduction in time taken for Day 1 tasks from weeks to hours
- Increased efficiency in Day 2 operations facilitated by single click tasks
- Self-healing architecture protecting critical applications against infrastructure outages
- End user empowerment by enabling intuitive self-provisioning workflows
- Out of box reporting and analytics to identify and resolve performance issues
Wipro enabled the bank with a private cloud that has the potential of melding multi-cloud architectures. The solution enabled integrated application release automation for DevOps and frequent application releases. It provided a single point of control to manage mission critical IT infrastructure and applications at any scale. Overall, the solution delivered experience through self-service, fully automated workflows and consumer-grade management.
Mayur Shah , Innovation leader- SDx, Wipro