- Client: A leading gaming company
- Industry: Digital gaming
- Products/Services: Online games for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers
- Number of Employees: Over 8000
The gaming company’s mission-critical business applications on Oracle E-business Suite and related applications were on a static on-premise private cloud. This platform was nearing end-of-life with a high cost of ownership. It lacked the capability to leverage cloud technology innovation, scalability, and availability. The key challenges were:
- End of life infrastructure - Lack of innovation, static capacity and inability to scale up or down in response to business requirements
- Performance challenges
- High operational costs
- Availability issues, which made the database the single point of failure
- Untested Disaster Recovery (DR) environment - Potential challenges to business continuity in case of disaster.
- Lack of transparency and visibility in terms of overall service delivery
- High turnaround times for provisioning new environments and cloning/refreshes
Wipro performed thorough discovery and assessment, and proposed Oracle Cloud Infrastructure as the right fit to host customer’s critical Oracle and related applications..
Wipro leveraged Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to deliver the gaming company agility, scalability and high performance.
- Database provisioned on 2 node Real Application Clusters (RAC) DBaaS to ensure high availability
- Extensive testing during migration phase to ensure smooth go-live
- Implemented Wipro Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) IP solution with committed Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and DR rehearsals to ensure it is failover-ready if situation arises
- Log Analytics for extensive monitoring
Despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the project went live in April 2020. The teams from Wipro and the client company, located across the globe, ensured that the migration was completed on time without any disruption to business.
The transition from on-premise to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure was made seamless by leveraging Wipro’s experience in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, and alliance with Oracle. Wipro planned for two mock runs to optimize the downtime and was able to cut down system downtime by one business day. By leveraging Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to host business-critical Oracle ERP and Wipro as-a-Service model, the gaming company ensured:
- 35% reduction in operation expenses
- Improved user experience due to system performance
- Faster response time and transparency to ensure efficient service delivery
- Significant improvement in overall performance and availability
- Wipro Disaster Recovery as a Service ensured committed RPO/RTO
- Enabled the ability to innovate using the new cloud environment