A leading Europe-based media and digital company implements Wipro virtuadesk™, a complete desktop virtualization solution in 3 months, leading to 25% cost savings and digital transformation
Client: A leading media group
Area of operation: Europe
Services: Publishing, distribution
Number of employees: Over 15,000
The media group had multiple datacentres spread across Europe managed by Citrix farms of multiple versions. This led to poor IT management and lack of a centralized view. A complex legacy environment based on Windows 2003 server, which was being decommissioned and going out of support from Microsoft, led to stability, performance, agility and scalability issues. The client wanted to migrate multiple Citrix farms to a central location in a period of 3 months.
Wipro implemented Wipro virtuadesk™, a complete desktop virtualization solution built on Cisco UCS servers, software defined storage based on Datacore and virtualization platform based on Citrix.
- Consolidated multiple Citrix farms to one farm spread across two datacentres
- Delivered hosted shared desktops based on Windows 2012 R2 Server
- Transformed application on Citrix legacy environment to Windows 7 (32bit) based pooled desktops
- Moved 4,000 users in multiple farms to a central farm
- Provided datacentre hosting and management of Virtual Desktop Architecture (VDI)
- Built storage boost technologies into Wipro virtuadesk™ to improve stability, performance and scalability
- Provided per user-per month pricing model to enable increased number of users without additional upfront capital investments
- Streamlined operations with different app stacks attached to a single golden image to reduce complexity
- Delivered end-to-end managed services including an upgrade roadmap to maintain latest VDI technology
Wipro virtuadesk™ enabled the media group to build a collaborative and mobile workforce by securing, provisioning, and sharing applications and data. Wipro’s pre-architected solution, designed for fast and secure implementation, eliminated architecture and design phase, and minimized risk. The hyper-converged appliance was factory assembled and shipped to the datacentre. Deployment and provisioning automation built by Wipro helped implement the solution within 3 months.
- Reduction in the total cost of ownership of the VDI by 25%
- Provisioning of new VDI to contractors reduced from 1-2 weeks to 1-2 hours
- Two times improvement in desktop stability and performance, resulting in better productivity and lower number of support calls
- 100% business continuity and security, and compliance adherence
- Automation of delivery of resources due to utilization of Cisco UCS Director
“Through our proactive approach, we managed to deliver the new platform to the client ahead of schedule. The success of our solution was due to close collaboration with partners like Cisco and Microsoft. Our workplace transformation solution, built on Cisco’s industry leading UCS servers, helped deliver high performance VDI to business users with up to 25% cost savings.”
- Seshu Kumar G. V. General Manager, Global Infrastructure Services, Wipro