Client: An American multinational technology company
Industry: IT, IT services, IT consulting
Products or services: Computer hardware, computer software, IT services, IT consulting
Geography or areas of operations: Worldwide
Number of employees: Over 49,000
The technology conglomerate wanted to adopt a standardized approach to cloud migration on AWS. They wanted a partner who could help them identify the right workloads, the right migration methodologies and propose a resilient governance model to run effectively on a cloud set up. They also wanted to address the following requirements;
- Under-utilized capacity in Vertica – An analytics platform that led to disproportionately high cost of operations
- Disparate reporting environment leading to high licensing costs
- Lack of scalability in the existing architecture
- 70-80% data source for Vertica is hosted on AWS
- Need for optimization of design and performance improvement on Vertica
The client wanted a cloud environment to improve speed of production and reduce maintenance costs. Wipro did a full analysis of their current landscape and provided the following solution;
- Build on-premise tools to connect with cloud through AWS Direct Connect service
- JDBC/ODBC for connecting to SQL client and reporting tools
- Recreate the existing SQL (ETL) scripts to generate flat files to be pushed to S3
- Amazon ECS (Elastic Container Service) workflow used for scheduling ETL jobs
- 35 dashboards spread between Qlikview & Spotfire, and approx. 70 SQL queries considered for migration
- 40 to 50 fact tables and 50 to 75 dimension tables refreshed by ETL jobs
- Amazon EMR (Elastic MapReduce) – A tool for big data processing and analysis, was used for transforming and parsing
Wipro helped the client to minimize cost of operations by moving on-premise Vertica Database to AWS and cost of managing licenses for reporting environment, reduced significantly.
- A standardized approach to AWS cloud migration enabled 35% reduction in IT spend and 25% reduction in cost of reporting licenses
- 25% reduction in current spend on reporting licenses.
“Wipro provided a scalable architecture on Cloud leveraging AWS Direct Connect Service, which helped the client to consolidate its reporting environment and achieve significant performance improvement. Automation, optimization, cost reduction and speed to production was their key asks, and our solutions coupled with our ‘business first’ approach helped them embark on their cloud migration journey with minimum disruptions to business.”
-Ankit Ghosh Head – Cloud Transformation Solutions, Tech BU, Wipro Limited.