Client: A top hybrid cloud data services company, a Fortune 500 listed company
Industry: Cloud computing storage and devices
Geography or areas of operations: Worldwide
Number of employees: 10,100
Today most of the data backup solution providers are making cloud as the secondary storage for backup, and provide subscription based storage backup solutions. Customer had an on premise data backup solution and wanted to move data from primary storage device to a secondary storage device. The customer was looking for a partner who can help them to launch a cloud data backup solution which can be delivered as a SaaS model and provide data backup management from anywhere anytime for its end customers.
The key requirements from customer were:
- Data Protection as-a-Service application should be designed, developed and hosted in a highly available, scalable and secured environment.
- A hybrid cloud model which connects storage devices on premise to public cloud implementing a secure and scalable device of cloud communication, without any extra change in the customers DC network environment.
- A one touch auto-discovery feature is on-premise storage devise and topologies are gathered automatically by the application.
- A highly user intuitive UX that helps an IT generalist to deploy and use the backup solution without any cloud knowledge.
Wipro provided a 2 phased approach for enabling the Data Protection Platform on cloud. The first phase was a Cloud application launched from AWS Market Place and the second phase was a SaaS model hosted on AWS. The Data Protection Platform was developed as a highly available and scalable service leveraging cloud native services, while keeping the design completely cloud neutral.
AWS services like S3 and SQS were used in combination to create a low latency, secure message passing infrastructure for on-premise to cloud (hybrid cloud) communication. AWS services EBS, availability zones, and application load balancer was used to provide high availability across regions and on-demand scaling.
The platform was developed leveraging micro services architecture using Java Spring Boot, deployed on docker containers. Feature rich UI implementation is done using Angular JS. The cloud backup data is stored in S3 bucket, and configuration and metadata is stored in Elastic Search deployed in HA environment across availability zones; The other key aspects of the solution include
- Option for a cloud marketplace and a hosted subscription-based solution
- Core modules in cloud agnostic way to support multi cloud portability
- Cloud hosted backup catalog with scale that support search of 1Bn record with sub second latency and HA across
The Data Protection as-a-Service solution orchestrated from cloud helped the customer to enter the cloud data backup market by providing
- High quality solution for native cloud backup solution on their storage hardware.
- Cost effective alternative to enterprises for cloud backup adoption without deploying other third party solutions.
“Wipro delivered a highly scalable and portable cloud-agnostic data backup solution with the right balance of cloud native and cloud neutral architecture. The solution enabled better customer experience with intuitive workflows and UI. With a clear roadmap and our ‘business first’ approach we enabled the client to embark on a cloud adoption journey.”
- Ankit Ghosh Head – Cloud Transformation Solutions, Tech BU, Wipro