According to a report published in 2011, 2.2 million patients worldwide were using remote patient monitoring services and the market is projected to grow at a compounded annual growth rate of 18% to reach 4.9 million patient connections globally by the end of 2016. Much of this market growth is in the area of home based systems – home monitoring systems that can communicate over a cellular network, landline connection or internet. They have reached significant volumes with cardiac rhythm management, integrated telehealth solutions, sleep therapy, and cardiac event monitoring.
The client had launched its first product which is a revolutionary mobile Cardiac Telemetry Device across multiple geographies. This product could provide data on the patient’s heart activity remotely to the physician by continuous monitoring. It has two major components – one monitors the patient and automatically transfers the patient ECG via the second component which is a wireless data transmitter device to a central place (monitoring center). The client was in search of a partner that could:
- Rapidly set up a flexible and scalable Remote Patient Monitoring Center and support its customers across all geographies
- Create a comprehensive and customized reporting mechanism to provide complete and accurate data
- Improve performance management and establish metrics for ongoing engagement
Wipro set up the entire technology and physical infrastructure for the engagement in less than 8 weeks’ time to support Europe, APAC and the Middle East. We adopted innovative sourcing models and staffed qualified nurses with prior experience in hospital ICU/Cardiac care units to carry out Remote Cardiac Monitoring Services and provided 24x7 coverage across all the geographies. The team created reporting templates for patient and event tracking and “End of Use” (of the device) that ensured comprehensive and transparent reporting mechanism.
The product which is used for diagnostic purposes is attached to the patient with an adhesive which collects data and transfers it wirelessly to the client’s server. Once the data is analyzed, interpreted, and finalized by the monitoring center team, the physician can access their particular patient’s details on the web or the center will send them the patient’s report. These cardio graphic technicians at the center review the collected ECG strips and provide clear and complete event, daily (per the service level requested) and "end of use" (after the use of the product is attained) summary reports. Reports are provided to the physician via fax, email, or on the web.
- Receive, acknowledge and support requests for patient monitoring
- ECG analysis and characterization of abnormal heart rate (arrhythmia)
- Continuous monitoring of enrolled patients
- Validate results of automatically triggered events
- Notify all events to the client & document urgent events
- Create summary report for each enrolled patient daily and/or at the end of prescription period
- Wipro’s 24x7 cardiac care monitoring services and timely reporting of critical and urgent events to physicians have been instrumental in early detection, prevention of long-term
- hospitalization, and timely resolution of cardiac conditions of numerous lives
- 40% savings on operating costs (manpower, technology infrastructure, and sourcing)
- Decreased time-to-market of the product and services due to the rapid setup of the