Client: A department store retail chain
Products: Electronics, clothing, footwear etc.
Area of operations: USA
Number of Employees: Over 70,000
The client embarked on a journey to design and implement a forward looking privacy program that could enable compliance with emerging privacy regulations including California Consumer Privacy Act (Jan 1, 2020). Some of the key challenges were:
- Lack of a personal data inventory for its enterprise applications and systems. There was no documented data flow of personal information or knowledge of location of personal data within the enterprise
- Lack of policies and processes to fulfil consumer rights outlined by the CCPA regulation
- Lack of robust technology and process controls to manage personal data within the enterprise applications and systems
- Lack of a technology solution for managing customer preferences and consents in disparate enterprise applications
Wipro’s Cybersecurity & Risk Services Practice leveraged startup partner OneTrust for their DSAR Consumer Rights and Cookie Consent modules. Wipro enhanced the retailer’s privacy program by delivering an automated solution that could manage CCPA consumer rights requests and cookie compliance checks.
- With dedicated points of contact across the client’s legal and technology teams, Wipro and OneTrust ensured that the requisite legal requirements and platform customizations were fully understood
- A dedicated team led by Wipro’s Data Privacy Consultant and Data Security Technology Lead worked alongside OneTrust for data discovery, solutioning and implementation
- As part of the engagement, Wipro offered platform design inputs, L1/ L2 support, and a dedicated sandbox to carry out the requisite modifications to DSAR form, third-party integration for validating personal information etc.
- Wipro leveraged its data privacy frameworks and delivered the automated solution in 6 months
The 6-month delivery engagement made the retail chain CCPA compliant. Further, Wipro enabled the following key operational metrics and benefits:
- Process efficiency led to 50% reduction in FTEs handling DSAR requests
- Turnaround time for DSAR compliance improved by 75%
- Reduction in error rates and increase in quality and accurate output