Improves overall productivity by 80% by digitizing drawings via Wipro HOLMESTM Engineering Drawing Digitization Solution
- Client: One of the world’s largest home appliances maker
- Services: Makes appliances such as washing machines, air-conditioners, vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens, refrigerators and provides other home care products and services
- Geographies: Europe, North America, Africa and the Middle East
To improve their Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Product Data Management (PDM), the home appliances maker felt an increasing need to digitize the legacy engineering drawings. This was being done manually with over 500,000 parts/products, which was not only a time-consuming exercise but also one that led to high customer churn. There was duplication of product databases as well as lack of cross-standardization and naming conventions across teams. There was a need to automate digitization of the engineering drawings to help save the home appliances maker $700 per drawing that they were incurring for reworking and validating the drawings manually.
The commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) applications, which were available in the market for digitizing critical and complex drawings data, could not provide cross-standardization, naming conventions or search mechanisms, and had storage problems. Neither did they support legacy data that was scanned or handwritten.
The home appliances maker needed to integrate existing PLM/PDM systems to bring home a homogenous source of data across drawings and catalogues to ensure there was no duplication of information and design that protracted the PLM and with minimal human intervention. They also wanted to make it usable in multiple languages across geographies.
Wipro implemented the HOLMES Engineering Drawing Digitization Solution, which has a rich cognitive computing capability that utilizes specific domain knowledge to create data dictionaries. These dictionaries created smart solutions for the home appliances maker that ramped up their productivity, reduced cycle time and improved user experience through intelligent inventory search.
With Wipro HOLMESTM these engineering drawings were digitized using tools embedded with cognitive techniques and pre-defined criteria for validation.
The HOLMES Engineering Drawing Digitization Solution wielded the power of cognitive techniques along with continuous learning to do the following:
- Automated the attribute clean-up process using Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML)
- Extracted and automated unstructured and semi-structured documents via cognitive intelligence
- Used computer vision and soft computing technology to auto-segment images and documents to extract and correlate knowledge
- Enabled bulk processing of documents, thereby improving turnaround time
- Charted a drawing-to-order roadmap by integrating drawings with product catalogues, procurement modules, etc.
- Validated drawings across various international standards such as ASME and AS1100 to ensure compliance
- Identified various shapes and components from drawings to build the Bill of Materials
- Reducing document turnaround time by 60-70%
- Cost efficiency of 35-40%, which increased progressively to around 40-60%
- Overall productivity improved by 80%
- Slashed cycle time for each product from 45 minutes to just 10 minutes
- Fill Rate of the whole process was improved by about 85%