Globally, organizations are leveraging AI to power their digitization goals. The advancement in the optimization of workplace functions has become critical to ensure the survival of enterprises. In the telecom industry, it is reflected in the sudden change in the way AI-based automation is driving business. Whether it is operations, internal cross-functions amongst employees & stakeholders or external functions (customers, partners, agencies, etc.), AI is playing a crucial role in optimization.
Digital transformation powered by AI has become the focal point for technology heads of organizations to not only optimize their current financial standings and bring in operational efficiencies but to also enhance contextualized customer experience in a bid to stay ahead in business.
Areas that AI and automation impact
Let us explore the areas that AI and automation are impacting in the telecom sector.
Beyond automation, organizations and telcos, in particular, can amplify human capabilities with AI technologies such as machine learning, automated predictive analytics and response, robotic process automation or automation of decision.
It is estimated that annual data flows will reach 44 trillion gigabytes by 2020 – 10 times higher than what it was in 2013. AI and automation will help manage this mega data. By using AI, machine learning and robotic automation, telecom companies can reduce manual intervention, manage volume, introduce flexibility, and increase speed to respond – without having to write off large investments or undergoing a complete technical overhaul. AI technologies can significantly improve processes in customer service.
Clearly, AI and automation are going to touch every aspect of a business.
AI requisites for telecom
The telecom industry is evolving at a fast pace. To meet the ever-growing customer needs, to counter telecom disruptors, and comply with regulatory norms, industry pioneers are striving to enhance customer experience and improve operational efficiencies. The following are the pre-requisites needed for any telecom provider wishing to embark on an AI transformation journey:
- Interwoven and seamless e2e process automation –Telecoms have provisioning systems, CRM tools and other applications working in silos. They should have automated process orchestration interwoven for better control and visibility across the board for technical, functional and operational efficiency and optimization.
- Automated Workflow Management in Order2Activate processes.
- Strong internal process control and good governance are needed to comply with regulatory bodies.
- Since the pricing models are based on external factors, strong processes are needed for real-time decision making to ensure operational and financial efficiency.
- Policies and governance should be such as to quickly bring out change requests, based on past trends and decisions
- Due to multiple interfaces in the business, strong integration through semi and fully automated processes are critical to bring about business transparency and efficiency.
- Telecoms have a close synergy between business functions (people) and IT (Networks, IT infrastructure and Applications), which warrants constant governance. A complete framework to ensure financial, operational and functional efficiencies is necessary.
- Network topology and governance models have configurations that need to be optimized for monitoring and resolving the network traffic. Hence, process controls through automation must exist.
- An intelligent repository of contracts and agreements must be present, and the contracts must be SLA-driven and penalties levied for any breach of service.
- A robust engagement and retention across all stakeholders.
- Automated cross-functional deals, negotiations, tenders, bids etc.
- Robust audit processes.
- Automated and comprehensive asset management categorization for various parameters.
AI solutions for telecom
In the telecom sector, AI solutions must focus on enhancing customer experience and increasing revenues. Here are some ways in which AI can transform the telecom industry:
- A large amount of data is generated on a regular basis. This can be leveraged through intelligent automation to capture, validate, and enrich customer data, thus reducing individual risk.
- Specialized AI can be utilized for streamlining labor-intensive tasks such as processing of service orders, provisioning, activation, change requests, enquiries, complaints and correspondence.
- AI can also help mitigate threats and risks and thus safeguard regulatory compliance.
- Employee misconduct can lead to leakage of confidential information as well as financial loss. Surveillance can be improved by leveraging cognitive computing products.
- Cyber crimes can be effectively prevented through improved KYC programs using AI, thus circumventing manually intensive processes.
- An AI system can be developed wherein customers can talk to a digital assistant (device) to address all their queries and requests.
- AI can be used to decipher unstructured data such as online articles and social media to spot trends.
- With security being an ongoing concern, AI technology helps detect and deter security intrusions.