- Client: A Government-owned postal organization employing over 60,000 people
- Industry: Public sector
- Products: Mail, Logistics, Courier
A key aspect of the customer’s transformation initiative was data center modernization.
The customer was plagued with several challenges in the infrastructure space – multiple data center locations, a plethora of service providers, lack of performance visibility, absence of security certification, and lack of a clear disaster recovery (DR) strategy. Given that their business transformation depended on the availability of a stable and resilient infrastructure at reasonable cost, the customer sought the help of a strategic partner with proven strategic vision and execution capability.
Later stages of the engagement brought out the challenge of evaluating cloud computing platforms and figuring out the right adoption and migration strategies.
Wipro consolidated 12 data centers into two, ensuring significant cost savings. A new high availability network solution was also put in place and a new stack of provisioning and monitoring tools were rolled out. Compute, storage, network, and security were offered on a managed services model. The as a Service pricing meant that the customer paid only for consumption (CapEx to OpEx) and had the ability to distribute the infrastructure cost across their subsidiaries and business units.
Wipro’s offshore/onsite model seamlessly delivered the stringent SLAs, while optimizing cost. Wipro also brought in an experienced risk and compliance team that took care of annual security certifications and audits. As the cloud computing came of age, Wipro became a cloud services provider to the customer and played a key role in driving cloud adoption, migration and operations discussions.
Highlights of the as a Service infrastructure service:
- PCI compliance
- CapEx to OpEx, pay-as-you-go managed services model
- Flexible cost-effective model balances cost savings with new technology roadmap
- 24x7 onsite/offshore operation to support extremely stringent SLAs
The client saw huge improvements in operations visibility, safety, cost savings, and brand reputation as a direct outcome of this initiative.
- Significant cost savings due to data center consolidation, offshore model and tool rationalization
- Better visibility into infrastructure management, application performance and security incident trends
- Highly improved and proactive security monitoring of organization assets under data center scope
- Brought new age threat intelligence tools/solutions to enhance the security footprint of CPGC
- Highly effective risk and compliance team leading yearly PCI DSS certification and SOC audits
- Rigorous governance at program and executive levels
- 24x7 operation out of ODCs in India, coordination with multiple partners, continuous improvement and automation