A well-defined plan for data migration to cloud needs to be supported by a qualitative and quantifiable aspect of the enterprise data footprint. In-premise data structure for the destination cloud needs to be analyzed for its performance, recovery, compliance, and security. The security level for the enterprise needs to be determined by considering the compliance need. Managed or unmanaged data migration tools can be used, depending on the customer environment. Critical analysis of compliance, security, and recovery is paramount before data migration to cloud.
Per a leading industry analyst the risks of data migration to cloud are as follows:
- Issues might arise in the bulk data transfer
- Data synchronization problems might make a parallel run unfeasible
- The migration project could easily get delayed and exceed the budget
- The migration plan and objectives might be misaligned
- Cloud migration goals might be technically unfeasible
- Public cloud providers might not meet your specific requirements
- The requisite skills are not available internally or from partners
- Your database might not perform adequately in the cloud
At Wipro, we address these risks by adopting an integrated approach. While we have specialized tools like CDRS to ensure error-free migration, other platform provider tools are also used to fast-track execution of non-critical data migration. Our cloud studio employs an integrated approach toward migration infrastructure, application and data layer, not compromising the specialized treatment for the data layer as data cannot be treated in isolation.
All these methodologies and tools are tested with different categories of customers in terms of size, complexity, and business need.