Client: A large logistics company
Area of operation: Worldwide
Services: Air mail, Sea mail, parcel
Employees: Over 300,000
The client’s Internet of Things (IoT) environment was highly fragmented with different business units undertaking IoT-related research, pilots and implementations in silos. The implementations lacked a common, holistic IoT platform, leading to multiple challenges, including:
- Lack of equipment tracking capabilities in warehouses and distribution centers was hampering operational efficiency and impacting the bottom line
- Lack of visibility into energy consumption combined with inability to collect and analyze energy spend was preventing the company from optimizing energy usage
- Inability to collect, analyze and categorize customer feedback from over 100 locations affected capability to understand customer needs and preferences
The client was therefore looking for a common technical platform to underpin its IoT implementations in order to create a single point of ownership and enable robust post-implementation support.
Wipro deployed its cloud-based IoT platform and integrated the platform with logistics management systems, corporate data lakes, and real estate management systems of the client.
- Smart sensor condition monitoring and shipment tracking by integrating 20k passive sensors and 150 active sensors
- Real time geo-tracking and condition information monitoring to estimate arrival time of shipments at various locations
- Smart energy reporting and analytics by integrating smart energy meters and real estate management systems, creating a unified real time view of energy performance and consumption across 180 sites around the globe
- Customer satisfaction monitoring and analysis by integrating feedback system on devices. This helped calculate Net Promoter Score
- End-to-end tracking and analytics of shipments across various locations such as warehouse, ports and fleet
- Tracking of up to 300,000 roll cages and handling of 800,00- 900,000 messages per day to optimize processes in parcel network to improve overall tracking and service quality while mitigating loss of roll cages
Wipro’s cloud-based IoT solution enabled real time visibility into logistics, energy consumption and customer satisfaction index, resulting in transparency, efficiency and reduced spend. Our support system also helped evaluate the performance indicator for Point of Sale. The holistic solution helped the client better align with its business objectives such as hiring top talent and enabling innovative and sustainable development while ensuring cost-effectiveness, profitable growth and customer retention.
The key benefits included:
- 7% improvement in operational efficiency
- Up to 5% reduction in energy usage
- Lower revenue leakage due to shipment lost / delayed delivery
- Enhanced customer satisfaction due to proactive, insights-driven measures