Services: Global information technology and consulting company that harnesses the power of cognitive computing, hyper-automation, robotics, Cloud, analytics and emerging technologies.
Geographies: The US, Canada, Latin America, Continental Europe, India and Middle East, and Asia Pacific.
Wipro, which serves clients across six continents, had a complex IT landscape to manage. At any given time, there were more than 200 enterprise applications running on 4,500-plus servers. These were hosted on two public clouds and on-premise data centers globally.
The underlying infrastructure supported an employee base of over 160,000 and all critical applications, such as Helpline, the system used by employees to log tickets powered by Wipro HOLMES, and myWipro, the digital platform for self-service that gives employees a seamless experience across various processes and workflows.
Complexity and efficiency issues aside, security and compliance were also a key concern.
There were multiple monitoring alert consoles for different applications and infrastructure silos that required multiple monitoring teams, leading to delays in identifying root causes of failures. Monitoring was also being done on a piecemeal manner, not covering all servers and devices. Ability to track and roll-back configuration changes was cumbersome and there was limited track of historical changes.
Thus, there was a need for real-time monitoring, incident and change management, automation and self-healing for a seamless user experience.
The team at Wipro embarked on a hyperautomation drive to address the infrastructure, critical application and data center monitoring and management issues.
This was our 4-step approach:
- Diagnostics and monitoring -Implemented a combination of network node manager, operations manager insight, System Center Operations Manager, sitescope, storage essentials and AppDynamics, that helped put in place a robust monitoring framework for heterogeneous infrastructure and applications in physical, Cloud and virtual environments. This provided a single pane of glass for IT support teams to troubleshoot, based on a filtered set of events that were enabled by de-duplication and event suppression.
- Configuration, change and auto remediation -Network automation and server automation together with operations orchestration, automated routine tasks, such as repetitive maintenance, change provisioning and incident resolution.
- Integration of incident management with e-helpline -Closed loop incident process with helpline, which is closely integrated with monitoring tools for auto-ticketing and closure. The status of tickets in operations manager and e-helpline are now in sync on a real-time basis.
- Collaboration and ChatOps for critical incident management -ChatOps-based collaboration helped the infrastructure and applications monitoring teams to manage all critical incidents globally. It also ensured SLA compliance for customers and employees alike
- Single pane of glass -With the help of integration with other tools such as end-user diagnostics, events consolidation and topology sync are available on a single window. This has reduced overall response time by 15% and critical incident response time by 20%. Mean time to resolution, one of the key metrics for IT support, has improved by 8%.
- Enhanced coverage -Wipro achieved coverage of maximum devices under the monitoring tools and advanced level monitoring KPIs are now being tracked. Close to 5000 network devices are now being monitored.
- Improved service management -With the transition from event-based monitoring to service-based uptimes, the impact of infrastructure issues on applications & user experiences can now be clearly traced. Availability of services can be measured with greater accuracy and overall system availability has improved by 5%.
- Greater monitoring efficiency -With auto closure of a high percentage of alerts/events based on advanced analytics, the monitoring team can now focus on the few vital alerts that matter.
- Increased customer confidence -With better monitoring and compliance, customer infrastructure management has improved and is well within SLAs.
We’ve gained true understanding of end-user experience in every application interaction and now have the ability to rapidly resolve issues in real time, to ensure our employees have quick access to the services they need.
- Raja Ukil, CIO & Senior Vice President, Wipro Limited