Client: A Fortune 500 company
Industry: Cloud computing, Data Management
Products: Data services and data storage devices
Geography or areas of operations: Worldwide
Number of employees: Over 10,000
Today, most data backup solution providers are making cloud the secondary storage for backup, and provide subscription-based backup storage solutions. The client, a data management services provider, had an on premise data backup solution and wanted to move data from the primary storage device to a secondary storage device. The client was looking for a partner who could help them launch a cloud data backup solution delivered as a SaaS model with anywhere-anytime data backup management for its end customers.
The key requirements were:
- Data Protection as-a-Service (DPaaS) application designed, developed and hosted in a highly available, scalable and secured environment.
- A hybrid cloud model which connects storage devices on premise to public cloud, implementing a secure and scalable device for cloud communication, without any change to the client's DC network environment.
- A one-touch auto-discovery feature for the application to automatically gather on premise storage device and topologies.
- A highly user intuitive UX that helps an IT generalist to deploy and use the backup solution without any cloud knowledge.
Wipro leveraged a two-phased approach for enabling a Data Protection platform on cloud for the client. The first phase was a cloud application launched from AWS MarketPlace and the second phase was a SaaS model hosted on AWS. The Data Protection platform was developed as a highly available and scalable service leveraging cloud-native services, while keeping the design completely cloud-neutral.
AWS services like S3 and SQS were used in combination to create a low latency and, secure message passing infrastructure for on-premise to cloud (hybrid cloud) communication. AWS services EBS, availability zones, and application load balancer were used to provide high availability across regions and on-demand scaling.
The data protection platform was developed leveraging micro-services architecture using Java Spring Boot, deployed on docker containers. Feature-rich UI implementation was done using Angular JS. The cloud backup data was stored in S3 bucket and, configuration and metadata was stored in Elastic Search deployed in HA (high availability) environment across availability zones. The other key aspects of the solution include:
- Option for a cloud marketplace and a hosted subscription-based solution
- Core modules in cloud-agnostic way to support multi-cloud portability
- Cloud-hosted backup catalog with scale that support search of 1 Billion records with sub second latency and HA across all zones.
The cloud data backup solution delivered as a SaaS model enabled data backup management from anywhere, anytime for their end customers through a highly scalable, highly available and a secure cloud environment. The DPaaS solution orchestrated from a hybrid cloud helped the client gain a competitive edge by providing:
- A cost effective alternative for cloud backup adoption without deploying other third-party solutions.
- High quality solution for native cloud backup solution on their storage hardware.
“Wipro delivered a highly scalable and portable cloud-agnostic data backup solution with the right balance of cloud native and cloud neutral architecture. The solution enabled better customer experience with intuitive workflows and UI. With a clear roadmap and our ‘business first’ approach we enabled the client to embark on a cloud adoption journey.”
-Ankit Ghosh Head – Cloud Transformation Solutions, Tech BU, Wipro