Client: HMEL is a public-private partnership joint venture between the Fortune 500 company, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL, a Government of India enterprise) and Mittal Energy Investments Pte Ltd., Singapore (MEIL, a Lakshmi N Mittal company).
Industry: Oil & Gas
Area of operation: India
Products: Petroleum products complying with Euro IV specifications
HMEL's production assets represent the single largest investment in any sector in the Indian state of Punjab. It owns and operates the Guru Gobind Singh Refinery, which has 11.3 MMTPA capacity. This Refinery at Bathinda, Punjab, is strategically positioned to respond to India's ever changing energy needs. The energy-efficient, environment-friendly, high distillate yielding complex refinery produces value-added petroleum products catering to a demand-driven market.
The oil and gas company wanted to protect and safeguard its assets by setting up a state-of-the-art physical security system through integration of people, process and technology. The intent was to design and implement the system without affecting the ongoing refinery operations and existing data.
Major concerns were:
- Lack of central and integrated security platform
- Disparate systems and technologies
- Complex processes to manage visitors, contract labors, and vehicles
- Lack of video analytics system
- Inability to track material vehicles inside the refinery
Wipro integrated multiple subsystems to a centralized command and control center by deploying its Internet-of-Things based manager-of-managers - Wipro Smart i-ConnectTM.
Wipro also provided supply, installation and configuration of advanced integrated physical security solutions consisting of access control system, visitor management system, contract labor management system, CCTV system, high-end video analytics, perimeter intrusion detection system, lighting management, under vehicle scanning system, and GPS-based tracking system to monitor, manage and control incidents across the refinery.
- Leveraged application design with server level authentication for maximum throughput to avoid any impact on worker’s productivity
- Integrated approach of detection, tracking, alerting, ticket creation, SOP trigger, till the closure of the incident
- Designed Wipro Smart i-Connect as a scalable system to meet the future demands of enhancements
- Automated incident management in Wipro Smart i-Connect to manage alerts
- Enabled 2D Map in operational module to have real time display of various system components
- Enabled high-end video analytics such as intrusion detection, PTZ tracking to track the object/person, object left detection for the area accessible to visitors, trip wire detection to protect restricted places, camera tampering to avoid any remotely installed camera malfunction, crowd detection to get alert on unusual people gathering, vehicle detection to monitor and control vehicles in restricted zones
Wipro’s Smart i-Connect platform created great efficiencies for the O&G company in terms of better visibility into incoming movement to the refinery, efficient worker management, and creation of a single point of control.
The integration of existing systems streamlined various technologies and applications. The new system with high-end video analytics also enhanced monitoring applications that worked seamlessly with Wipro Smart i-Connect platform.
- End-to-end tracking of vehicles used for material movement from entry to exit at the refinery
- Single point of control using Wipro's Integrated Command Control Center (ICCC) application
- The established ICCC application at the refinery receives real-time inputs from all systems and runs automatic workflows post identifying true / false alerts
- Increase in efficiencies as dependencies and maintenance for alerts monitoring was removed
- Scalability due to the ability to add systems easily
- Reduced operational costs and number of human errors
- Considerable increase in efficiency of data analysis
- Ability to track visitors staying beyond defined time limit inside refinery premises
- Managing of contract labor through different reports