- Client: A leading marketer and manufacturer of premium branded paint and related products
- Industry: Manufacturing
- Geography: Australia
- Products/Services/Core Business: Diverse range of high-quality products including retail paints, varnishes, concrete, industrial waterproofing, automotive refinish coatings, adhesives, seeds, fertilizers, etc.
- Revenue: $1.8 billion
- Number of employees: 4,000+
In addition, the existing infrastructure of the client needed a rebuild with an estimated investment of 20 million AUD over a period of 5 years. Moreover, there was a need to reduce the application development activities in the complex existing landscape structure of 19 SAP and 15 non-SAP applications. All this, in turn, was leading to an obstruction for the client’s requirement of creating an IT environment supporting business growth and creating a future-ready system.
After a detailed assessment, Wiproproposed Microsoft Azure as it was scalable, reliable, technologically advanced, with significantly lower operational costs compared to on-premise.
Wipro used the "Safe Passage framework” for accelerated platform transformation, built on industry best practices, lessons learned from previous migration projects augmented with our tools and accelerators such as MigMan (Migration Manager).
The obsolete support versions of SAP products were upgraded to the latest SAP version and were Unicode enabled. With new features such as effective administration, performance tuning and relatively superior data compression, Windows Server 2016 and Microsoft SQL Server 2016 were implemented.
The solution included the following –
- A Heterogeneous migration of 19 SAP and 15 non-SAP applications to Azure Cloud
- Combined Upgrade and Unicode conversion along with OS/DB migration to Azure Cloud with the largest database size of 5.5 TB
- Platform change from AIX / DB2 platform to Windows 2016 / MS SQL 2016.
- The cloud transformation program resulted in savings of 15 million AUD, against the estimated investment of 20 Million AUD.
- Wipro’sefficient delivery coupled with matured application landscape hosted on Azure platform helped achieve YoY savings on operation costs to the tune of 2.5 million AUD per year through –
- Apay-per-use model for running non-production SAP systems
- Cost reduction via Re-architecting and MS SQL database stacking option for license & hosting
- A relook at the licensing during Azure migration also resulted in savings of 500 K AUD per year.
A comprehensive solution helped customer create a ‘Future Ready System’–through Unicode enabled, rationalized& upgraded SAP products to utilize latest features of SAP and reduce the need of further customization and associated maintenance costs for transforming to SAP S/4HANA.
“Our client appreciated the value Wipro infused into the project with its deep understanding of their IT landscape; innovative tools and accelerators in addition to MS Azure's comprehensive and trusted Cloud offerings. A strong collaborative approach to work as one team helped us deliver a cost-effective, accelerated and risk-free transformation.” – Srinivas Sai Nidadhavolu, Vice President & Global Practice Head - SAP at Wipro