Client: A global pharmaceutical company
Products: Pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer health products
Employee: Over 100,000 employees
Area of operations: Global
Customers: Over 800,000
The pharma giant was using various legacy ERP systems. This led to several challenges like multiple versions of truth, error-prone reporting, high costs of IT operations, and inefficiencies in procurement operations.
The client initiated consolidation of its existing legacy systems into a single global SAP ECC 6.0 platform to transform its ERP landscape. This initiative cut across commercial markets, trading partners and manufacturing plant operations with objectives to standardize business processes, reduce the opex/capex and improve time-to-market.
The client needed a global data migration strategy to leverage best-in-class industry practices and enable adherence to regulatory compliance.
Wipro executed Data Migration services leveraging Wipro-patented Data Migration Factory Framework to optimize the execution cost without compromising on quality and regulatory compliance. Migration services scope included rollout for over 50 market sites, spread across 33 countries with disparate processes and legacy systems.
The key aspects of the solution approach were:
- Provided As-A-Service model using Data Migration Factory Framework wherein adaption of Core and Flex team setup enabled best utilization of fixed and variable costs for multiple market rollouts in parallel
- Established dedicated technology towers using SAP BODS and BackOffice Associates’ Data Stewardship Platform (DSP), and ETL tools to handle data extraction and transformation for manufacturing plants and commercial sites, along with SAP LSMW tool for data load processes across all sites
- Facilitated early data profiling using DSP to identify potential data quality and fitment gaps
- Managed sensitive data security through data masking applied during trial runs for critical attributes of vendor, customer and material master objects as part of GxP compliance
- Effectively used HP ALM defect management and MS Sharepoint trackers for efficient collaboration and continuous tracking throughout data migration lifecycle
- Implemented Data Validation Tool for source-to-target data reconciliation, using SAP BODS tool master data objects
- Developed DSP User Interface screens to fast-track preparation and validation of data managed outside legacy ERP systems
- Executed 3 trial-data runs for each rollout to identify and remediate data/system/configuration/code defects prior to production cutover cycle
- Enabled offshore shifts to align with UK, US and LATAM markets for larger coverage and efficient coordination with distributed Market SMEs
- Setup strong governance mechanism to bring ownership across different stakeholders including knowledge retention and clear communication across channels
Implementation of the fully integrated Data Migration Factory Service brought in tighter compliance to regulatory processes, accelerated time to market, and improved cost of delivery and operational efficiency.
- Reduced data migration operation cost by 60%
- Increased efficiency and optimized procurement process for manufacturing plants and trading partners’ business and distribution lifecycle by porting 62,000 employees to the new SAP platform
- Enabled 85% revenue recognition across Pharma and Consumer divisions through single global ERP platform, reducing manual consolidation and reporting efforts
- Successfully rolled out 12 waves for migration of manufacturing plant and commercial sites’ ERP data with zero defect and delay, supporting over 40,000 users across multiple geographies
- US commercial site data migration helped the client in consolidating majority of transactions into a single global SAP ERP system instance
- Wipro’s data factory execution ensured on-schedule rollout for an extremely critical market in order to maximize strategic value from an acquisition
- Enabled 20% reduction in time-to-market, driven by DSP tool profiling and governance expertise
- Reduced Market SME efforts for data preparation activities through DSP-driven self-service solution for both, commercial sites and smaller markets in manufacturing plants
“55 sites, 33 countries with 11 go-lives in a year– this was one of our largest SAP ECC data migration implementations. The implementation enabled the client to meet compliance and regulatory requirements, and accelerated time to market by 20%.”
– Raman Awal, Global Practice Head - Information Management, Data Analytics and AI, Wipro