Implementation of SAP Master Data Management and data governance enabled a single version of truth, maximizing process effectiveness and efficiency
Client: Leading Oil and Gas Company
Area of operations: Worldwide
Products: Petroleum, petrochemicals
Revenue: Over US $200 billion
Due to large-scale operations, and mergers and acquisitions, the Oil and Gas (O&G) company did not have a consolidated view of its master data entities across the enterprise. This had resulted in multiple processes and systems; often leading to duplicate master data. The client also had inefficient spend analytics with poor visibility into spend data. The legacy system and process lacked aggregation capabilities, leading to longer cycle times to setup master data and low visibility of data, leading to financial and legal issues.
Wipro implemented Central Data Maintenance and Governance solution using SAP Master Data Management (MDM) platform to overcome the challenges faced by the client. This enabled the O&G company to maintain a single version of truth (data consistency) at any point in time.
The solution components included:
- Centralized MDM platform for request, validation and enrichment of business partners, materials and catalog master data
- Controlled MDM processes for creating and maintaining master records:
- Built interactive offline data capture forms to simplify data entry complying to data standards
- Enabled specialized integration to data enrichment services to ensure data quality at source
- Enabled integration with group-wide consuming systems like SAP ECC, SAP SRM, non-SAP transactional systems, SAP BW etc.
The implementation of SAP MDM resulted in the elimination of data redundancy, and centralized maintenance and governance of master data across multiple data domains such as customers, vendors, materials, and price books (contracts).
- Reduced duplicate vendor setups from 20% to 4%
- Reduced master data setup cycle time for the client’s customers from two days to less than one hour
- Improved data quality through integration with innovative enrichment services
- Centralized price books (contract) compliance and governance using clean material and vendors data in MDM
- Reduced duplicate payments due to reduction in duplicate vendor data to the tune of about $129 million
- Enabled 3000+ users to find the right materials and services from an enterprise catalog of millions of items during procurement processes by deploying Global Catalog (Material & Services) Search solution on MDM
“Any MDM program this massive in scale requires right tools, skills, and experience. Wipro team helped the client stay competitive in today’s complex business landscape and make quick decisions with timely analysis based on trusted data.”
Sushil Tikare, Account Director – Oil & Gas Industry Practice, Wipro