Large deal bookings reach $1.3 billion, an increase of 79% YoY and 6% QoQ
Total bookings of $3.8 billion, mark a 6% YoY increase
IT services segment EBIT increases 6% YoY. EPS increases 4.1% YoY
Operating cash flows at 145% of net income
EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. | BANGALORE, India – October 18, 2023: Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading technology services and consulting company, announced financial results under International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) for the quarter-ended September 30, 2023.
Highlights of the Results
Results for the Quarter ended September 30, 2023:
1. Gross revenue reached ₹225.2 billion ($2.7 billion1), a decrease of 0.1% YoY.
2. IT services segment revenue was at $2,713.3 million, a decrease of 2.3% QoQ.
3. Non-GAAP2 constant currency IT Services segment revenue decreased 2.0% QoQ.
4. Total bookings3 was at $3.8 billion, up by 6% YoY and large deal bookings4 was at $1.3 billion, up by 79.0% YoY.
5. IT services segment EBIT for the quarter was ₹36.1 billion ($434.0 million1), an increase of 6% YoY.
6. IT services operating margin5 for the quarter was at 16.1%, up 10 bps QoQ and 100 bps YoY.
7. Earnings per share for the quarter was at ₹5.06 ($0.061), an increase of 4.1% YoY.
8. Net income for the quarter was at ₹26.5 billion ($318.5 million1), a decrease of 0.5% YoY.
9. Operating cash flows at 145% of Net Income for the quarter was at ₹38.6 billion ($465.0 million1).
10. Voluntary attrition6 has continued to moderate QoQ, coming in at 9-quarter low of 13.4% in Q2’24.
Outlook for the Quarter ending December 31, 2023
We expect revenue from our IT Services business segment to be in the range of $2,617 million to $2,672 million*. This translates to sequential guidance of -3.5% to -1.5% in constant currency terms.
* Outlook for the Quarter ending December 31, 2023, is based on the following exchange rates: GBP/USD at 1.26, Euro/USD at 1.09, AUD/USD at 0.66, USD/INR at 82.70 and CAD/USD at 0.74
Performance for the Quarter ended September 30, 2023
“We continue to win in the market despite the uncertain macro environment,” said Thierry Delaporte, CEO and Managing Director. “We ended the second quarter with 22 accounts above the $100M range, which is double the number we had in FY’21. Our large deal total contract value reached $1.3 billion—highest in the last nine quarters.”
“Against a challenging environment, we continue to take the bold decisions needed to realize our long-term ambitions. We are investing in our technology infrastructure and streamlining our operations and delivery to drive profitable growth. We are training and reskilling our people so they can be ready for an AI-driven future. The investments we made in our ai360 strategy are helping us realize significant efficiencies across our organization and creating an early leadership position in this fast-evolving space. We are confident that these investments will keep us resilient and competitive in an ever shifting business and economic landscape.”
Aparna C. Iyer, Chief Financial Officer, said, “We remain focused on profitable growth despite a challenging market. Our disciplined approach to improve efficiency, productivity and utilization has led to an increase of 100 bps YoY in our IT services operating margins. Our absolute IT services segment EBIT grew 6% YoY. We generated strong operating cash flow of 145% of net income for the quarter.”
1. IT Products segment revenue for the quarter was ₹1.47 billion ($17.7 million1)
2. IT Products segment results for the quarter was a loss of ₹0.47 billion ($5.6 million1)
Please refer to the table on page 11 for reconciliation between IFRS IT Services Revenue and IT Services Revenue on a non-GAAP constant currency basis.
1. For the convenience of the readers, the amounts in Indian Rupees in this release have been translated into United States Dollars at the certified foreign exchange rate of US$1 = ₹83.08, as published by the Federal Reserve Board of Governors on September 30, 2023. However, the realized exchange rate in our IT Services business segment for the quarter ended September 30, 2023, was US$1= ₹82.54
2. Constant currency for a period is the product of volumes in that period times the average actual exchange rate of the corresponding comparative period.
3. Total Bookings refers to the total contract value of all orders that were booked during the period including new orders, renewals, and increases to existing contracts. Bookings do not reflect subsequent terminations or reductions related to bookings originally recorded in prior fiscal periods. Bookings are recorded using then-existing foreign currency exchange rates and are not subsequently adjusted for foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations. The revenues from these contracts accrue over the tenure of the contract. For constant currency growth rates, refer note 2.
4. Large deal bookings consist of deals greater than or equal to $30 million in total contract value.
5. IT Services Operating Margin refers to Segment Results Total as reflected in IFRS financials.
6. Voluntary attrition is in IT Services computed on a quarterly annualised basis and excludes DOP.
7. Effective April 1, 2023, we merged our ISRE segment with our IT Services segment. The YoY growth rates for the quarter ended September 30, 2023 were computed by rebase lining Q2’23 numbers.
8. A global technology company has selected Wipro to deliver high-quality digital designs to enhance their manufacturing process. Through the Technology Excellence Center model, Wipro Engineering Edge will implement hardware design verification for multiple business units in a cost-effective, scalable, and efficient manner. This will lead to a 20-25% reduction in total cost, faster time-to-market, high-quality delivery, and the ability to scale.
9. A leading workplace pension provider in the UK has selected Wipro to provide regulated Pensions Administration and Technology Services to the member of its Defined Contribution (DC) Pensions book. Through this engagement, the client will see enhanced member experience, faster time to market for new products, and significant cost reduction, while supporting 15% year-on-year business growth.
10. A North American financial institution has selected Wipro to digitize and streamline its loan origination systems and deliver a consistent omni-channel experience to its end-users. NetOxygen, Wipro’s award-winning enterprise loan origination solution, will improve the lending process through automation and cloud technology. This will ensure compliance and information security, as well as fully integrated bilingual support (in French and English). The client will see a reduction in their cost-per-loan of up to 30% and can expect an increase of up to 80% in digital self-generation loan requests.
1. Wipro was positioned as a Leader in the 2023 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Public Cloud IT Transformation Services
2. Wipro was rated a Leader in Everest Group's Digital Twin Services PEAK Matrix® Assessment 2023
3. Wipro was recognized as a Leader in ISG Provider Lens™ – Cybersecurity - Solutions and Services 2023 - US, UK, France, Nordics (multiple quadrants)
4. Wipro was rated as a Leader in ISG Provider Lens™ – Google Cloud Partner Ecosystem 2023 - US & Europe (all quadrants)
5. Wipro was rated as a Leader in Avasant's High-Tech Industry Digital Services RadarView™ 2023 - 2024
6. Wipro was positioned a Leader in Everest Group's Oracle Cloud Applications Services PEAK Matrix® Assessment 2023
7. Wipro was featured as a Leader in ISG Provider Lens™ – Retail & CPG Services 2023 - US & Europe (all quadrants)
8. Wipro was recognized as a Leader in ISG Provider Lens™ – Customer Experience Services 2023 - Europe (multiple quadrants) & US (Digital Operations)
9. Wipro was rated as a Leader in Whitelane's IT Sourcing Study 2023 - Switzerland
10. Wipro was featured as a Leader in Avasant's Application Modernization Services RadarView™ 2023
11. Wipro was recognized a Leader in Everest Group's Network Transformation and Managed Services PEAK Matrix® Assessment – System Integrators (SIs) 2023
12. Wipro was recognized as a Leader in Avasant's Canada Digital and IT Services RadarView™ 2023 - 2024
Source & Disclaimer: *Gartner, “Magic Quadrant for Public Cloud IT Transformation Services”, Mark Ray, et al, 16 August 2023.
GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally, and MAGIC QUADRANT is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product, or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner's research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The Gartner content described herein (the “Gartner Content”) represents research opinion or viewpoints published, as part of a syndicated subscription service, by Gartner, Inc. ("Gartner"), and is not a representation of fact. Gartner Content speaks as of its original publication date (and not as of the date of this [type of filing]), and the opinions expressed in the Gartner Content are subject to change without notice.
About Key Metrics and Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This press release contains key metrics and non-GAAP financial measures within the meaning of Regulation G and Item 10(e) of Regulation S-K. Such non-GAAP financial measures are measures of our historical or future performance, financial position or cash flows that are adjusted to exclude or include amounts that are excluded or included, as the case may be, from the most directly comparable financial measure calculated and presented in accordance with IFRS.
The table on page 11 provides IT Services Revenue on a constant currency basis, which is a non-GAAP financial measure that is calculated by translating IT Services Revenue from the current reporting period into U.S. dollars based on the currency conversion rate in effect for the prior reporting period. We refer to growth rates in constant currency so that business results may be viewed without the impact of fluctuations in foreign currency exchange rates, thereby facilitating period-to-period comparisons of our business performance. Further, in the normal course of business, we may divest a portion of our business which may not be strategic. We refer to the growth rates in both reported and constant currency adjusting for such divestments in order to represent the comparable growth rates.
Our key metrics and non-GAAP financial measures are not based on any comprehensive set of accounting rules or principles and should not be considered a substitute for, or superior to, the most directly comparable financial measure calculated in accordance with IFRS and may be different from non-GAAP measures used by other companies. Our key metrics and non-GAAP financial measures are not comparable to, nor should be substituted for, an analysis of our revenue over time and involve estimates and judgments. In addition to our non-GAAP measures, the financial statements prepared in accordance with IFRS and the reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures with the most directly comparable IFRS financial measure should be carefully evaluated.
Results for the Quarter ended September 30, 2023, prepared under IFRS, along with individual business segment reports, are available in the Investors section of our website www.wipro.com/investors/
Quarterly Conference Call
We will hold an earnings conference call today at 07:00 p.m. Indian Standard Time (9:30 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time) to discuss our performance for the quarter. The audio from the conference call will be available online through a webcast and can be accessed at the following link- https://links.ccwebcast.com/?EventId=WIP181023
An audio recording of the management discussions and the question-and-answer session will be available online and will be accessible in the Investor Relations section of our website at www.wipro.com
About Wipro Limited
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO) is a leading technology services and consulting company focused on building innovative solutions that address clients’ most complex digital transformation needs. Leveraging our holistic portfolio of capabilities in consulting, design, engineering, and operations, we help clients realize their boldest ambitions and build future-ready, sustainable businesses. With nearly 245,000 employees and business partners across 65 countries, we deliver on the promise of helping our clients, colleagues, and communities thrive in an ever-changing world. For additional information, visit us at www.wipro.com