Wipro successfully built a continuous delivery platform for a leading investment bank, enhancing business agility and lowering the environment provisioning lead-time from 21 days to 3 hours
The client is a leading US-based investment management and services company, uniquely focused on helping clients manage and move their financial assets and succeed in the rapidly changing global marketplace.
With the advent of cloud, enterprises are not only looking at automating their infrastucture but also their application release management process. Over the past few years, many enterprises, especially banks, have implemented in-house private cloud and have deployed or started their journey towards building a continuous delivery platform to transform their software development lifecycle to an on-demand, self-service, and automated environment. A recent industry survey shows that with DevOps on Cloud solution, some of the high-performing organizations can deploy code 30 times faster with 50 percent fewer failures.
The client had adopted extreme programming for their Software Development Lifecycle, but the underlying release process was manual, sequential and hence, time consuming. They were looking for a scalable, agile and cost-effective solution to render state-of-the-art services to large financial institutions and banks. This necessitated that they move from their current systems to an agile cloud platform that would enable them to:
- Templatize the Application environment
- Empower developers to release multiple builds in a day. QA teams test these builds simultaneously and provide feedback while Operations team deploy and manage standardized environments
- Chargeback to the business on a pay-as-you-go model The client was looking for a capable partner to help them in their journey to define and build this agile cloud platform.
Our team helped the bank define governance between Development and Operations teams cutting across people, process, and technology, and introduced a continuous delivery platform for DevOps on Cloud. The implementation enabled the bank’s IT team to deploy environments across the application lifecycle, in an on-demand basis, while leveraging its proprietary tools and frameworks. Some key highlights of the engagement are:
- Automation of Development and Test environment provisioning
- Blueprint-based templates for application deployment
- Self-service portal with custom workflows and on-demand deployment
- Automation of repeatable Operations related tasks
- Centralized management for end-to-end project visibility and capacity planning
Our DevOps solution enabled agile self-provisioning of Infrastructure and the entire environment for developers, reducing managed service cost and TCO through automation and consolidation
Business Value Delivered
Wipro successfully embarked the client on their DevOps journey and drastically lowered their application roll-out time. The engagement brought together the benefits of operational excellence and continuous delivery models merging them with the dynamic potential of cloud architectures to achieve:
- Lead time reduction to 3-4 hours from 21 days
- Accelerated time-to-market, with a 20% reduced application release time
- 15-20% reduction in time to identify and mitigate bugs
- 15% reduction in the total infrastructure cost