- Client Name: Medical device manufacturer
- Industry: Healthcare
- Products or services: Manufactures and sells medical devices, instrument systems, and reagents.
- Geography or areas of operations: 50 countries
- Any other relevant details: 65,0000 global associates
A leading multinational medical device company was operating with four front-line functions servicing various customer needs (general inquires/order inquiries, returns, product complaints, and recalls). Yet the enterprise was working without a consistent platform, process, or policies to manage their customer interactions. After a phone call or email chain ended, there was no traceability and no actionable insights could be gained from repeat issues or ongoing problems.
These front-line functions supported multiple business units, each with their unique and complex organizational structures, requiring varying engagement models to request and receive information to satisfy customer needs.
Critical data that front-line staff needed in order to answer even the simplest of customer questions (such as, “Where is my order?”) were buried within multiple back-end systems that weren’t available or integrated with each other.
Customers also had no straightforward way to engage with the front line, and multiple phone lines and email addresses created a challenging landscape, leaving customers uncertain whom to contact for different issues. Our direct customer interviews revealed it was difficult for customers to do business with the company, and front-line workers were not empowered to create a better experience for customers.
Our transformation methodology
Wipro acted as a strategic advisor and led with the power of its transformation methodology. We right-sized six massive programs within this broader portfolio to transform each front-line function and design engineered self-service portals to drive significant (up to 60%) issue deflection. Each program, led by design principles, deconstructed each business model and reconstructed them with a harmonized “one company” vision. The process was highly collaborative and pervasive.
The Collective strength of Wipro’s Combined Brands
The following four Wipro divisions were engaged directly to deliver these programs. They acted as one with each team highlighting the other’s expertise and improving upon the outputs of their counterpart's activities:
- DesiginIt lead the current state discovery and harmonized the future state.
- The Salesforce practice drove the technology transformation and delivery.
- Wipro Digital was the “face of the customer,” assisting with operational changes and policy harmonization.
- The Organizational Change Management team partnered closely with the communication and training teams to enable a top-tier adoption.
A Self-Service Platform for Orders & Pricing
Together our teams developed a world-class solution that empowered customers to see all their orders and product pricing information in one digital location in real time. This was a colossal feat of engineering to unshackle data that was locked away in multiple back-end systems and pull it all together in a context-rich experience. Before, customers had to navigate a labyrinth of front-line phone calls to get the simplest of product pricing and order questions answered. Now they can go online and simply find information on their orders or the price of a product.
Front-Line Case Management
As part of our solution, we expanded the case management and call-center capabilities of four front-line functions. This included CTI integrations, case management lifecycles, community exposure of case status, and elaborate mechanisms to strengthen the connections between teams that may not be using Salesforce Service Cloud. Design principles ensured accountability by design and to ensure the front line was delivering impeccable customer engagements.
These technology and solution improvements cleared the way for the company to shed cumbersome policies that existed as a stopgap for disjointed teams. Instead of needing multiple engagement models to work with their various business units to manage a product return, they now have a standardized process. Where there was no structure to manage a general inquiry, now there is rigor and traceability. This reinvention of how work gets done required stringent evaluation, rigorous evangelism, and steadfast adoption, all led by Wipro. We also synthesized legacy, nonconnected systems to ensure customers and front-line customer-facing teams could access validated data. Wipro not only built the solution, but we also transformed how the business was run based on the program’s success.
- Through end-to-end service re-design and process transformation, key efficiencies gained through optimized/restructure customer care organization.
- Increased customer experience through increased NPS and First Contact Resolution scores, as well as improved Customer Effort score.
- Increased revenue and lower customer attrition from addition of product substitution capability through self-service and customer contact center access.
- Improved sales effectiveness and reduced time spent on answering client questions
- Decreased customer service rep time spent on answering questions through implementation of self-service platform.