Wipro helped Thames Water save £336,000 in costs by rolling out an online customer account management solution.
Thames Water Utilities Ltd is the largest water and wastewater company in the UK. It has 15 million customers and supplies around 2.6 billion liters of tap water across London and the Thames Valley. The company treats 4.4 billion liters of wastewater per day.
Thirty-two privately owned companies provide quality water, sanitation and drainage services to over 50 million household and non-household consumers in the UK, where the water and sewerage industry was privatized in 1989. Since then, the Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat) was set up to protect the rights of consumers and to provide services at a fair price.
Thames Water needed a personalized customer self-service portal. The portal’s key goals were to assist customers register, login, manage their account online, make payments, submit meter readings and perform various other transactions in an efficient manner, using simple, pre-populated Web forms.
Wipro leveraged its vast domain expertise and customer journey lifecycle in water utilities to commence an efficient and large scale project named Online Account Management (OAM). The OAM solution comprised the following components:
- Register, activate and login
- Retrieve forgotten email address
- Retrieve forgotten password
- Unlock profile
- Access pre-filled Web forms for online services
- View and update account details
- View current and historic bills in PDF format
- Check water consumption online as a graph
- View transaction history and upcoming payments
- More than 300,000 customers registered so far, reducing voice support calls
- Adoption of e-bills brought in savings of £336,000 in printing and postage
- Online forms showed 20% more submission success rates than on the main Thames Water Website
- Improved debt collections with data enrichment
- Customer targeted messaging and promotions
- Improved data stability and scalability of online system