Crowdsourcing involves utilizing resources outside of an enterprise to accomplish specific tasks. In the context of enterprise IT, crowdsourcing offers tangle benefits:
- Accelerated external innovation
- Reimagined business and IT delivery models that enable financial re-engineering
- Improved cost optimization and increased efficiency
Crowdsourcing creates opportunity for new ways of working, enabling co-creation, collaboration, and open innovation. For enterprise IT, the current COVID-19 situation has created three scenarios that on-demand talent can resolve:
- Scenario 1: Enterprises with short-term needs (i.e. dashboards, app development, internal company IT requests, etc.) in Open Technologies like React, Angular, etc.
- Scenario 2: Enterprises with business continuity needs after losing contractors unable to work remotely, creating a shortage of talent. Restrictions on travel and visa policies also contributed to this scenario.
- Scenario 3: Enterprises with long-term needs that adopt crowdsourcing as a part of their overall strategy to avoid future disruptions. The current policy of visa restrictions is also contributing to this scenario.
These scenarios are being addressed by crowdsourcing enterprise IT functions leveraging the Topcoder Crowdsourcing platform. Topcoder has 1.6 million designers, developers, data scientists, and quality assurance engineers, while also providing innovation at scale.
Iteration is key to application development, and app prototypes are ideal for vetting technology and design decisions, generating feedback, and refining requirements before developing production code. Topcoder can provide the platform to generate, evaluate, and test ideas quickly, which is the starting point of the prototyping methodology.
The crowd can be utilized for following IT deliverables:
1. Application Design and Development: Open source technologies application design and development process can be crowdsourced. The crowd uses design and development best practices to deliver industry-leading visual design concepts and high-quality application code.