The customer is an Australian public research university. It is regarded as one of the country’s prestigious universities and is also ranked among the world’s top universities. It aims to be a modern and progressive institution, and delves into solutions for issues that impact everyone, from public health to environmental sustainability. The university is sought after for courses related to Medicine, Law, Business and Arts.
The higher education sector plays a key role in moulding socially responsible individuals, providing skilled resources and finding solutions to societal issues through strong research. The institutions in this space, therefore, have to meet varied expectations from stakeholders such as students, parents, faculty, industry and society amid challenges related to tight government funding, student attrition, gaps between skills and employer needs, and internationalization of academics. Stakeholder expectations range from high quality teaching and research, innovations to meet needs of new-age students to readying students for the future. Universities are, thus, increasingly seeking technology interventions that would allow them to attract students from diverse backgrounds, retain them and impart the best learning while maintaining high administrative efficiency.
With rising expectations from various stakeholders, the university planned to leverage data insights to bring in efficiency in various areas of operations. It started a business intelligence program to enable its staff to more effectively understand, utilize and manage the university’s data to arrive at more informed decision making.
Wipro teamed up with the university to provide integrated performance reporting to transform rich data into meaningful information. Wipro provided data warehousing and analytics solutions. This included building data warehouse, analytical reports and dashboards that enabled:
- High-level, aggregated view of KPIs and measurement with drill-down capability
- Trend reporting of student data across different points in time for faster decision making
- Preparation of reports for areas such as student admission, institutional revenue, and research metrics
The Business Intelligence program has helped the university in the following ways:
- Single source of information for faster decision making
- Reports for managing multiple areas of institution performance, including student enrolment and research publication
- Comparison of current and historical performance by school, department and courses
- KPI tracking for student diversity, student performance, research outcome and financial performance
- Indicators of factors influencing student performance