- Client name: US multinational food manufacturing company
- Industry: FMCG
- Products or Services: Food products
- Areas of operations: Worldwide
The client has a large infrastructure landscape that constitutes multiple operating systems (OS). The devices in the landscape were periodically upgraded to the latest OS version. These regular updates were causing security risks during transition and were also leading to considerable performance degradation issues. Patch and image testing was done manually, which was inefficient and time-consuming.
Applications that were hosted needed to be tested for its correctness based on upgrades. There were multiple combinations of upgrade paths to be followed based on OEM supported architectures.
Wipro helped the client automate the process of testing to reduce the time spent in manually testing all the OS upgrade activities. Wipro deployed a seed team to stabilize and reduce the risk of transition.
- Data center and cloud assurance: Upgrades and patch validations
- Automated OS validations
- Validated non-functional attributes like performance and security – Infra layer
- Customized parameters of comparison as per customer use cases
- Application validation for its functional (sanity test), performance (scalability, availability), security (vulnerability) aspects
- Test environment management services: Test environment creation to isolate production systems during upgrade/patch test cycle
Automation of testing, the time-consuming manual process, helped the client accelerate the efficiency of the overall process.
- Usage of automated IP accelerator ensured competitive advantage by reducing the upgrade cycle. This fast forwarded the upgrade process by about 25%
- Improved predictability of the system’s behavior post upgrade thereby reducing business downtime by about 10% due to a reduction in tickets/cases
- Improved cadence to upgrade the devices led to minimal security vulnerabilities and cyber attacks
“The client was facing the challenge of business downtime. With improved predictability post upgrade, we were able to reduce business downtime by 10% by reducing OS related tickets/cases.”- Harish Krishnan, General Manager, Cloud and infrastructure services, Infrastructure Quality Assurance, Wipro