Client: A leading electric utility company based in Europe
Industry: Electric Utility
Area of operations: Europe
Products: Electricity, renewable energy, natural gas
Number of employees: Over 15,000
The client had a disparate estate of over 3,000 servers, 5.5 million batch job instances, and more than 230 critical applications in a diverse landscape containing a mix of applications hosted on premise and public cloud. Transforming the legacy data center to private cloud with consistent improvement and automation initiatives was a challenge, as there was limited transparency on operational performance parameters.
The client wanted to build a lean IT organization by simplifying all IT services and offerings. This required changing the overall mindset as well as skill set from “make IT” to “manage IT” and choosing to “make” only if it added measurable additional value. The overall aim was to derive maximum value from IT offerings, and enable cost transparency and long-term customer satisfaction.
Wipro stepped in as the client’s preferred partner to revamp IT infrastructure services and optimize operations. Wipro provided the client services like DC Hosting, Compute Services (Wintel, VMware, Unix), Database (Oracle, SQL, Middleware, Mongo DB), Storage and Backup, Network (DC LAN), Output Management Systems, Job Supervision, SAP (SAP Basis and Solutions), Managed File Service, Monitoring / Automation, and Cloud Services.
Wipro leveraged its knowledge and solutions such as Virtual desktop infrastructure, Knowledge Management, Reporting, Automation, and Cloud Portal to build a lean IT organization for the client.
The highlights of the solution included:
- Wipro retained the client’s existing data center facilities in order to eliminate the need to move, and instead focus on optimization of workloads and cloud
- Transformed legacy data center services with best-of-breed building blocks such as cloud management platform, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Hybrid HANA, SAP Re-platforming, Security as a Service, hardware refresh (Hypervisor, Network, Storage ) to deliver a feature rich and efficient service stack vs heterogeneous environments in terms of tools, software & hardware
- Deployed Wipro HOLMES™ artificial intelligence & automation platform for self-healing and quick turnaround
- Revamped operations by introducing next-gen outcome-based data center services that operate basis new operation parameters empowered by cloud adoption, automation, analytics, self-healing and tight integrations
- Ensured ecosystem alignment by aligning the operating model to service providers, operating companies
- Maximized the client’s investments by primarily retaining existing assets, and employing the buy or build approach as necessary for other assets, third party contracts, data center facilities and network
- Ensured sustainable architecture by planning capacity for growth, and considering variability for technology choice
- Rebadged 97 employees with guaranteed employment for three years
Leveraging Wipro’s expertise in data center hosting and hybrid cloud services, the client was able to:
- Have a portal to order cloud services with 24*7 delivery, thus reducing turnaround time
- Achieve 26% IT operation cost savings in a span of seven years
- Enable “As a Service” or “Pay for what you use” consumption based model to optimize costs
- Achieve scalable and agile IaaS & PaaS
- Reduce incident trend by 30% and major incident by 75%
- Move from “Make IT” to “Buy IT” mindset and skillset
- Achieve “one-datacenter” synergies within the partnership with Wipro, thus reducing risk through existing knowledge and skills
”Wipro’s expertise in data center services and best-of-breed solutions ensured the client maximum worth from its existing IT investments and helped establish a lean IT organization.”
- Ralf Georg Mueller, Account Delivery Head, ENU-Utilities, Wipro