The implementation of such a solution is not very difficult, since in the current scenario, everyone carries a mobile phone and an IMEI tracking of the same. India has introduced a stamp mechanism that works on the same principle. If we could chip a device instead, to ensure the tracking is constant, tampering can result in an alarm.
What are the benefits?
1. Risk Mitigation During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic as well as in the future, health monitoring will be one of the best mitigation measures to arrest virus spread and ensure the safety of travelers while they are flying. Heart rate fluctuations is one of the key proactive indicators of any anomaly in the body’s condition. Transmission of infection may occur between passengers who are seated in the same area of an aircraft, usually as a result of the infected individual coughing or sneezing, or by touch (direct contact or contact with the same parts of the aircraft cabin and furnishings that other passengers touch). Maintain hygiene through regular IoT alert reminders for using hand sanitizers and early warning alerts for timely action.
2. Passengers’ well-being The proactive Flight Beat and Hygiene alarms will ensure that travelers’ health conditions are periodically monitored during flights. Triggers ensure that corrective action is taken for both travelers and flight attendants. Seat sensors are capable of reading the heart’s electrical impulses. Flight Beat can translate a heart rhythm pattern, which is activated with the flip of a seat-embedded switch by passengers at their own discretion.
3. Enhance Customer Experience Health monitoring of travelers who are flying will ensure maximum customer satisfaction and enhance customer experience. This will increase the credibility and the brand value of airlines. Passengers flying in these situations, besides being well taken care of thanks to health monitoring inflight, are also likely to share their pleasant flight experiences with others. Positive word of mouth boosts the morale and spirit of the entire ecosystem.
4. Add more business Effective health monitoring will ensure passengers fly frequently, thereby increasing the revenue and profit margin of airlines companies. Ensuring passengers’ safety during flying will definitely increase the load factor. Load factor is an indicator that measures the percentage of available seating capacity that is filled with passengers for airlines. A high load factor indicates that an airline has full planes with most seats occupied by passengers. The more the occupancy rate, the more the revenue and profit for airlines.
5. Minimum Social distancing is maintained through safe space offering with IoT alerts that are triggered once the distance is less than 4 meters between two persons. This will be extremely effective and useful to contain the spread of flu-like diseases.
With the kind of uncertainty prevailing around COVID-19, monitoring the health of travelers will be extremely critical and time-sensitive to ensure their safety during flight. This will also arrest the spread of viruses like COVID-19 that might be transmitted by other infected passengers. Health monitoring in flight is paramount and it is a WIN-WIN for both passengers and airlines. The solution becomes very effective post-pandemic too, when there is still some degree of fear lurking in people’s minds. The solution will also enable a peaceful life for travelers and non-travelers alike, and simplify the otherwise tedious task of tracing individuals; in the event of another outbreak.