New players are constantly flooding the market, as innovative services are being introduced each week, and incumbents are slashing prices; all while pro‑ts are deating. This perfect storm is sending telecom companies scurrying to their strategic playbooks, as they look at generating more revenue, by becoming more agile and customer-oriented, and cutting costs.
The client had a fragmented operating model. There was no clear accountability or leadership. There was misalignment of measures with no clear linkage between operational and business goals. A single version of the truth was not available due to limited functional reporting and inadequate business reporting processes. Lack of effective demand management lead to poor capacity utilization and load balancing issues. Operations was run on a prescriptive model as opposed to a predictive model.
Wipro undertook an internal benchmarking exercise to assess the extent of the backlog and to formulate a suitable strategy to restructure the client’s order-to-cash process. Wipro solution enabled transformation in the three areas listed below:
Simplification - Creation of an IT managed dynamic delivery model, work ow, process flow, stage mapping and a common technical platform which helped in improving productivity.
Automation - Pull based workflow allocation, prioritization and automation, as well as secure visibility to service assurance & management has helped in creating an uni‑ed process view. Visibility Control - Creation of visibility control mechanisms helped in providing real-time visibility, bandwidth management, demand forecasting and de-skilling of jobs to align with work flows
Standardization - Input sources, process ows, data gathering and reporting, production planning and demand management. Consolidation - Data integrity bandwidth management, error proo‑ng input and service impact analysis.
Optimization - Optimization was achieved by demand planning of resources, alignment of objectives across journeys, and de-skilling of jobs aligned to workow, that lead to reduction in rework and rewind and eliminated Non Value Additions.
Additional Improvement Themes
- Order Entry - Reduction in the number of incomplete / unclean orders from 35% to 25%. Same day order launch – 100% clean orders are launched the same day.
- Port Allocation - Reduction in errors and re-allocation of ports for rewind orders from 83% to 22%.
- Access Suppliers - Reduction in supplier lead time from 42 days to 33 days.
- Testing - Reduction in failure during testing. Failure down from 60% to 30%.
- The backlog at any point of time has reduced to best in class 1% from a 33%.
- Reconciliation of approximately 14,000 tasks to 1,400 tasks.
- Reduction in the number of incomplete / unclean orders from 35% to 25%.
- 100% Clean orders are launched the same day.
- Reduction in errors and delay in re-allocating ports for rewind orders from 83% to 22%.
- Reduction in access supplier lead time from 42 days to 33 days.