“Transform to Net Zero” is a cross-sector initiative to accelerate the transition to a net zero emissions global economy. Wipro is proud to be a founding member of this critically important group along with A.P. Moller - Maersk, Danone, Mercedes-Benz AG, Microsoft Corp., Natura &Co, NIKE, Inc., Starbucks, Unilever, and the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF). The Initiative is supported by BSR (Business for Social Responsibility), which is serving as the Secretariat for the Initiative.
Why Transform to Net Zero? Why Now?
Wipro has a longstanding commitment to social and environmental responsibility, leading a wide range of successful sustainability efforts, including a net zero target. Joining Transform to Net Zero will enable us to share what we have already learned, and multiply the impact of our existing environmental sustainability efforts.
This could not be more urgent, because further damage to our ecosystem threatens to disrupt our way of life. Scientists agree that in this decade, the world must halve global greenhouse gas emissions to limit global warming to below 1.5°C. Longer-term, the world must reach net zero global emissions in just a few short decades.
While many environmental pacts, commitments, standards, and certifications exist, Transform to Net Zero is taking a more robust and disciplined approach. The coalition will conduct research, create deliverables, and prioritize efforts to generate the maximum impact. Importantly, every asset created by Transform to Net Zero will be open source, providing all companies and organizations with free resources they need to implement change.
The initiative will build awareness throughout its first year, including at Climate Week in September. The coalition has a 5-year plan to address the following goals:
- Enable the business transformations that companies are undertaking now to achieve net zero emissions by 2050.
- Deliver emission reductions across the entire business and value chain.
- Work with partners across supply chains.
- Innovate and invest at scale in products, services, and business models that amplify impact and ensure a just transition for all people and communities.
- Engage with policymakers to support policies that incentivize progress towards net zero.
The coalition values principles, commitments, and actions. Wipro has an impressive environmental sustainability record. Some of our recent accomplishments include:
- Over the last 5 years, through energy efficiency and renewable energy procurement, we have prevented the equivalent of 425,000 tons of CO2 from entering the atmosphere.
- Over the last 3 years, through travel substitution and optimization, we have reduced our business travel emissions by 13,000 tons of carbon.
- Over the last 2 years, through the Electric Vehicle 100 initiative, we have transitioned 5.4 million kilometers of employee commute away from fossil fuel vehicles. Further, we have encouraged and facilitated carpooling for employees covering 22.7 million kilometers.
The coalition also appreciates the important global vantage point that Wipro offers, acknowledging that our reach spans industries, sectors and regions. In particular, our large operations in India mean we can offer unique perspectives about how to balance developmental and energy needs and meet Sustainable Development Goals.
Beyond that, Wipro's core tenets of commitment to integrity and respect for individuals require us to act. As a global company, we have an impact on the environment everywhere we do business, and a corresponding responsibility to behave ethically and responsibly.
I encourage you to read more about the Transform to Net Zero initiative here, and thank you in advance for your ideas and efforts to make this worthy goal a reality.