Client: Global utility company headquartered in Canada
Industry type: Utilities, Energy, Logistics and Construction
Products or Services or Core Business: Natural gas, power generation, transmission and distribution, pipelines, liquids extraction, logistics and construction
Geography or Areas of operations: Over 70 countries across the globe
The client recognized that its global business units (GBUs) used disparate on-premise technologies with high number of customizations and manual processes. This led to a complex IT structure resulting in operational inefficiencies, increased management costs and poor customer service.
The negative impact of this legacy landscape was growing:
- Lack of centralized procurement and projects control was resulting in inefficient sourcing and spends
- Disparate Chart of Accounts structure had multiple ledgers
- Manual processes in Finance, Supply Chain, Reporting, Projects Office and HR functions had to be replaced with self-service options for improved productivity.
It was imperative for the client to simplify and standardize processes, and create a shared-services model that could leverage business synergies, reduce costs and improve customer service.
The goal was to simplify and integrate business processes across GBUs and leverage a shared-services model for efficiency gains and cost management. Wipro’s recommendation was to use an out-of-the-box cloud design and migrate all applications and processes to Oracle Cloud.
To aid a smooth migration, Wipro leveraged ‘Wipro’s Jumpstart Kit for Oracle Cloud’ – an array of tools and accelerators for rapid cloud migration – as part of the simpliﬁed methodology for accelerated cloud implementation. The following Oracle Cloud modules were implemented:
- Financials Cloud – for General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cash Management, Expenses, Fixed Asset
- Supply Chain Cloud – for Purchasing, Contracts, Requisitions, Receiving, Order Management, Inventory Management
- Projects Cloud – for Project Costing, Project Management, Project Billing
- Procurement Cloud – for Sourcing, Purchasing, Procurement Contracts
- HCM and Taleo Cloud – for Core HR, Time & Labour, Taleo, Performance Management, Recruitment, Comp. & Benefits
The solution leveraged a central governance program for configuration and it retired all customizations, paving the way for integration across disparate systems.
The transformation to cloud and implementation of shared-serviced model led to:
- Integration of processes across the client’s GBUs with centralized sourcing, procurement and projects control
- Reduction of IT maintenance efforts and spend
- Enhanced asset maintenance and regulatory reporting with simplification and application rationalization
- Implementation of employee resource center and self-service processes, lowering support requests