- Client or descriptor: A multinational electricity and gas utility company
- Industry: Energy & Utility
- Salesforce products used: MuleSoft, Communities, Service Cloud, Marketing Cloud, and Field Service Lightning
- Geography or area of operation: Headquartered in London, England, with operations in EMEA and North America and 23,000 employees worldwide
- Number of Customers: Over 14 million customers in EMEA and North America
To ensure they could develop a 360 view of their customers, They needed a more effective way to manage the data they gather from operations within the U.K., three U.S. states, five clouds, and eight subsidiary companies. Their data resided in different domains integrated by various middleware platforms, including Oracle Fusion and home-grown file transfer systems. Additionally, the company’s operations in the U.S. and U.K. each needed to meet separate compliance regulations.
With a goal of improving experiences for their 8 million U.S. customers and 6 million U.K. customers, the company planned to implement a series of transformational changes:
- Offer customers a new self-service resource.
- Provide support staff with access to real-time data and 360 views of the customer.
- Integrate all omnichannel communications, including email and SMS, into one platform.
- Develop a centralized repository in a system-of-record format that captures customers’ communication preferences, such as opt-in/opt-out information.
To help them achieve their customer experience goals, Wipro led a transformation of their data operations based on our MuleSoft and Salesforce expertise.
Using MuleSoft, we developed a microservices architecture and a domain-driven API design. Our team automated the configuration of the MuleSoft Runtime Fabric environment running on Azure, which is split into a semi-trusted zone and a trusted zone, with the latter secured behind an Azure firewall.
At the outset of the project, we created a template for skeleton process flows to jump-start the company’s application programming interface (API) development. Our team also established a center for enablement (C4E) to build and drive the consumption of API assets, thereby enabling speed and agility.
We enhanced the digital experiences of thier employees and customers using a series of Salesforce platforms:
- Service Cloud delivered the needed self-service and help desk process automation.
- Marketing Cloud enabled integrated omnichannel communications.
- Community Portal offered a centralized customer portal with customer data centricity.
- The Customer Preference Center enabled help desk teams to access valuable customer data and deliver more personalized services.
- Field Services Lightning allowed the company to improve field services and better manage maintenance tasks.
Over 100 of our team members from the U.S., U.K. and India participated in the project, totaling over 2,500 days of individual effort.
Our work with them resulted not only in improved digital experiences for their customers, but it also earned us the first-ever Salesforce Partner Innovation for MuleSoft in November 2020. The integration solutions that earned this recognition ensured that the company has a platform that would enable seamless omnichannel experiences and stronger resiliency for their organization, as well as the following benefits:
- A single source of truth for customer information across the organization.
- A customer self-service portal that resulted in a 15% decrease in inbound calls to the call center.
- A reduction in customer data duplications that’s nearly triple the previous reduction rate.
- An increase in website traffic related to the new customer self-service resource, with 632,000 unique weekly customers since its launch with channel metrics as follows:
- Desktop access: 52%
- Mobile access: 48%