- Client: A large wireless network provider
- Industry: Telecommunication
- Customers: Over 160 million subscribers
- Products or services: GSM, 3G and 4G pre-paid and post-paid services, SIM cards, etc.
- Area of operations: Asia
The client was adding a variety of customer-facing services and applications across its digital channels. These channels and services, in turn, were generating valuable customer data that could help draw insights to further fuel business.
However, the client’s legacy data warehousing and campaign management systems could not be easily integrated with the digital channels.
The new sources of data and the systems were not streamlined to handle various data formats. These could not be scaled to store the growing data volumes, and batch processing/latency issues prevented the client from making effective use of the data. The option to add storage to the legacy system was not cost-effective as it would mean making large investments in license and maintenance costs.
The client’s campaign management system was also not able to cope up with the various business demands due to technical constraints in their legacy data warehouse system.
To leverage the availability of rich data, to extract real-time actionable intelligence, and to execute real-time personalized campaigns, the client engaged Wipro to build its next-generation data-warehousing platform and campaign management platform. The goal was to build a foundation that could measure customer inventory, launch real-time marketing campaigns and evaluate 160 KPIs used to improve uptake of new products and services while delivering an increase in average revenue per user.
Over a period of 1.5 years, Wipro worked on a program that cut across the user base leveraging a modern Ab Initio Collect/Integrate framework and Cloudera Big Data and Hadoop ecosystem.
The system was architected to provide scalability and the ability to process high volume and variety of data in real time. The Ab Initio interface provided business users the ability to add new sources of data and configure new business and campaign rules without any dependency on the technology team.
The implementation of the campaign management platform involved complex integrations with channels and other surrounding systems including business intelligence.
Business impact with the new data warehousing system and campaign management solution, the client placed itself firmly on the road to becoming an intelligent enterprise. The new platforms provided several business capabilities and benefits
- A 360 degree view of pre-paid and post-paid customers leveraging data across channels
- Capability to process 15 billion events a day
- Personalized campaigns based on customer behavior due to real-time analytics and recommendation engine
- Campaign engine integration with all digital channels
- Ability to process 100% more volume of Call Detail Record data as compared to the legacy system
- Empowerment of business users to tweak business rules as per requirement
- Integration with ERP to seamlessly launch and manage real-time campaigns - examples include recharge offers, combo packs to high value customers, etc. - based on accurate customer usage/consumption
- Improvement in International Financial Reporting Standard with end-to-end revenue reporting based on customer type and products/services
- Decommissioning of the legacy systems, which reduced millions of dollars in license, hardware, service and support costs
“This was an innovation and insights-driven implementation, enabling revenue growth for the client. Overcoming the legacy barriers, we created a real-time data provisioning and insights platform and deployed configurable campaign management solution to help provide personalized offers to its subscribers and thus improve customer experience.” - Raman Awal, Practice Head - Information Management, Wipro