The client realized that inadequate vendor data management was negatively impacting productivity which in turn impeded growth and innovation. Additionally, there were inconsistencies leading to inaccurate or misleading business insight.
The key challenges faced by the client were:
- They had over 25 vendor masters for seven divisions across multiple locations which made data management immensely complex.
- The data was managed manually and was prone to errors and inconsistencies
- Substantial resources and time was being spent on duplication of data related activities
- There were no single data standards available across the enterprise
The opportunity was to create a Vendor Data Foundation program aimed at transforming the sourcing and procurement function. Once implemented, this program could drive operational efficiencies, improve decision-making, enhance productivity and re-ignite innovation while remaining compliant to the ever increasing rigor of industry regulations.
Wipro developed a single scalable solution to manage end to end vendor master data lifecycle enabling enhanced enterprise wide master data visibility into the data management process. For the client, this program was central to achieving sustained long-term success. Their vision to transform the procurement function chiefiy focused on setting up a centrally managed vendor master.
Wipro designed and implemented the Vendor Data Foundation program enabling:
- Application of consistent standards and consolidation of disparate Vendor master data across the enterprise
- Cross division visibility of vendor data
- Consistent SLA driven vendor master data management processes
- Integrated risk assessment and QA assessment process steps
The Wipro solution comprised the following:
- SAP Enterprise Portal + BPM for supplier on-boarding: The portal includes a number of functions such as vendor search, vendor request, and risk indicator, duplicate check with global enrichment and local check with local enrichment. These are in addition to the centralized master data management processes and user interfaces that are built to optimize user experience.
- SAP Vendor Master Data Management (VMDM): SAP VMDM imports data from the client’s ERP landscape across silos, consolidates, merges, de-duplicates and cleanses the data to create a golden copy before enriching it to create vendor hierarchies.
Optimizing vendor master data enabled the client to access early vendor risk indictors that are vital for compliance in Pharma. The benefits included:
- Enabled transparency and visibility into master data process – opened possibility of delivering ‘Data Service’
- Proactive Risk exposure identification for business partner relationship
- Improved efficiency and productivity through standardized central and local processes
- Single scalable solution for vendor master data lifecycle