Client: A leading aerospace company
Industry: Manufacturing – Aerospace products
Products/Services: Aerospace machinery
Areas of operations: Worldwide
The client’s two-decade old HR analytics system was inadequate to meet modern-day real time reporting needs for the client. The data warehouse ran HR reports (employee productivity, satisfaction, diversity, ethnicity, etc.) in batch mode on a monthly basis and took up to 20 hours for report generation. As a result, it was difficult to make real-time data-driven decisions on matters such as employee incentive and project bonus to attract, manage and retain employees effectively. Moreover, these HR reports were critical in nature as they were accessed directly by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and other c-suite executives to ensure compliance to government and regulatory bodies’ guidelines on employee diversity, workplace practices, etc. Non-compliance could invite heavy legal, financial and reputational damages to the client. Also, in the current context of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was important for the client to have real-time employee information in order to implement dynamic changeover of resources as needed. For instance, mapping employees’ location proximity to field locations to ensure employees residing nearby were sent on site visits, thus minimizing travel and ensuring employee safety.
The client decided to embark on a digital analytical platform implementation initiative to transform the existing HR analytics data warehouse and business intelligence systems for the digital age.
The client partnered with Wipro to spearhead a large-scale intelligent HR transformation exercise leveraging the power of digital technologies. The Wipro team migrated the legacy HR system to Azure cloud to ensure agility and on-demand scalability in reporting. Wipro’s intelligent HR analytics solution covered three broad dimensions:
- Right-fit technology identification: Wipro selected Snowflake, an enterprise cloud data warehouse technology for hosting the data warehouse and data mart. Matillion, a cloud native ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) tool was chosen for ETL needs and Qlik Sense, a cloud-based business intelligence (BI) tool was chosen for visual data insights and dashboarding.
- Data handling: Wipro created an end-to-end pipeline for each data point based on business criticality and defined a comprehensive data architecture to ensure optimal storage, data access and reduce latencies across the data value chain. The data ingestion process was overhauled to enable accelerated ingestion, including batch, to drive agile decision making. The new framework is capable of processing large volumes of data.
- Technology improvement: Wipro enabled integration with Workday application by using Matillion API for real time integration. Additionally, Wipro enabled use of common platform, technologies, libraries, data models, and analytics across multiple business units and data interfaces to drive standardization and re-usability. Wipro also implemented easily accessible, highly scalable, performant and cost-effective data warehouse with a standardized data model that ensures security, reliability and privacy of the data and platform.
Wipro’s proven solution and accelerated implementation helped migrate historical data from legacy HR system to Azure cloud. The new platform handles 500 GB of data daily. With this best-in-class HR analytics capability as a core competency and competitive differentiator, data-driven decisions were enabled for the client, accelerating their journey to an Intelligent Enterprise. Key business benefits delivered to the client include:
- Cost savings worth over $960,000 over a span of 3.5 years
- Reduced processing time of daily loads from 15 hours to few minutes, Qlik refresh time from 3.5 hours to 30 mins, and reduced 80% of loading time. The result: improved reporting and data integration performance
- Enhanced L&D engagement, productivity analysis, attrition risk prediction, etc. by allowing managers easy access to workforce analytics insights through real-time dashboards
- Enabled efficient management of enterprise data, while increasing programming flexibility at lower development and maintenance costs