Wipro Ltd (NYSE:WIT) is a global information technology, consulting and outsourcing company with 145,000 employees serving over 900 clients in 61 countries. The company posted revenues of $6.9 billion for the financial year ended Mar 31, 2013.
Wipro helps customers to do business better leveraging our industry-wide experience, deep technology expertise, comprehensive portfolio of services and a vertically aligned business model. Our 55+ dedicated emerging technologies ‘Centers of Excellence’ enable us to harness the latest technology for delivering business capability to our clients.
Wipro is globally recognized for its innovative approach towards delivering business value and its commitment to sustainability. Wipro champions optimized utilization of natural resources, capital and talent. Today we are a trusted partner of choice for global businesses looking to ‘differentiate at the front’ and ‘standardize at the core’ through technology interventions.
In today’s world, organizations will have to rapidly reengineer themselves and be more responsive to changing customer needs. Wipro is well positioned to be a partner and co-innovator to businesses in their transformation journey, identify new growth opportunities and facilitate their foray into new sectors and markets.
Wipro, one of the world's most trusted brands, is a name with a long history. Here's a snapshot of our journey to date:
- Established in 1945 as Western India Vegetable Products Limited in Amalner, Maharashtra
- IPO for capital in February 1946
- Ventured in to the fledgling IT industry in 1981
- Established software products and exports subsidiary, Wipro Systems Ltd. in 1983
- Pioneers in marketing indigenous Personal Computers in 1985
- Established a Joint venture with GE in 1989
- Entered IT services in the 1990s - we were among the pioneers in developing the ODC (Offshore Development Center) concept
- Software business assessed at SEI-CMM Level 5 in 1998
- Listed on NYSE in 2000 (NYSE:WIT)
- The first company in the world to be assessed at PCMM Level 5 in 2001
- Entered the BPO business in 2002
- Entered the Eco-energy business in 2008