The scope of the project included the following:
- Discovery and survey of all 400+ nodes across the US and Asia Pacific regions to prepare for the migration
- Pilot assessment and migration of 94 instances
- Assessment and migration of remaining target nodes, post validation of the pilot
- Migration of over 2 Petabytes of NFS Storage
- Exiting Wipro's data centers in Bangalore by August 2019, once GCP was operational for eSilicon
Wipro had been managing eSilicon's hybrid cloud services delivery since 2018 and both management teams were aligned on the cloud strategy. Wipro is a managed service provider and also a premier partner with Google Cloud, so it was chosen as the preferred partner for this unique transformation journey, which was the first of its kind in the semiconductor industry.
Wipro conducted a comprehensive assessment of the client’s infrastructure landscape by leveraging Wipro Cloud Studio, a unique model to deliver throttled migration for different workloads while reducing risks. They designed a migration run book that detailed out a comprehensive end-to-end migration approach, bringing together the customer’s business teams and decision makers for an industrialized transformation journey.
There are things that are critical for any project’s success, for example, people, process and technology. Wipro embraces all these aspects via its Cloud Studio. Wipro team, along with eSilicon and Google teams were able to migrate about 2PB of NFS data with 10 billion+ files and several hundred virtual machines (VMs) in three months without any down time to the business.
Wipro’s in-depth expertise in tools and technologies also included Cloudbyte (containerized enterprise storage), Elastifile (enterprise-grade distributed file system with intelligent object tiering), Cohesity (enterprise storage), Velostrata (migration and cloud-based software) and Aspera (data transport and streaming technology). This expertise, coupled with Wipro’s automated industrialized solution, helped to accelerate this migration.
With a highly agile and scalable cloud environment, eSilicon has achieved the following business benefits:
- Compute scalability proportionate to chip design demand.
- Cost optimization — significant cost savings in the range of 20 percent lower total cost of ownership (TCO) for IT.
- Utilization improved to 100 percent because of the automated orchestration engine.
- Competitive edge — became the first company to design chips using the public cloud; this delivery model helps eSilicon respond more quickly to customer design requirements, and to any subsequent design change requests.
- Smart, scalable, secure and cost-effective cloud-based offshore execution model. Most of the migration was two weeks ahead of schedule.
“Wipro’s in-depth domain knowledge and industrialized approach leveraging their Cloud Studio helped us to seamlessly move all our semiconductor design workloads that have been running on-premise to Google Cloud Platform two weeks ahead of schedule. We now have a highly agile and scalable environment that can support multiple parallel designs with a moment’s notice as our compute resources can grow exponentially through our completely automated smart orchestration engine using AI/ML.”.
- Naidu Annamaneni, CIO and Vice President of Global IT eSilicon Corporation