In my last blog, I had covered the misconceptions around cloud that held back some businesses from deciding on their cloud strategy. In the last one year, there has been a visible change in the way organizations are looking at cloud as a platform for hosting their Data Warehouse (DW). Interestingly, we observe that most of our clients have included cloud into their IT roadmap.
In terms of trends, Amazon Web Services (AWS) continues to be the leader. So what is driving this? Lower TCO, faster time-to-market and enhanced performance on the new DW platform are the determining factors in favor of cloud DW. In general, plethora of cloud services and comprehensiveness of solutions make AWS a natural choice for most of the organizations.
In this blog, let's look at why businesses are slow in starting off their DW migration journey to the cloud and what will it take for them to jumpstart the cloud migration journey especially for AWS-Redshift and AWS-RDS.
Key factors which inhibits clients in their cloud journey are the risks associated with migration, the unknowns of the new platform, lack of internal skills, long migration process and associated costs of migration. Based on my experience nd interactions with clients, I have shared a view on what are the most important aspects for any client to start moving terabytes of data to cloud.
First, let's look at the questions that needs to be addressed at the outset:
- To start with, I need to know the current DW. There are 20K tables in a DW which was built over more than 10 years. Do I know how many of these tables are actually used for DW purpose? Do I know the size, structures and usability at an individual table level? Are there any challenges with the existing data model?No single person in any Organization has answers to all these questions! The current DW is a black box to the users. They don't know how and where do the start the migration journey?
- It takes days and weeks to resolve common issue in platform migration like data structure conversions and data translation in the target platform. These issues are resolved manually. Is there a better way to handle this?
- The unknowns of the new platform and lack of in house skills add to the risks of migration. How can I reduce the risks?
- How to move terabytes of data from on premise to cloud?
- How can I ensure my data is secured on the cloud?
- A DW migration project takes months to complete and there are huge costs associated with it. Is there a way to fast track the migration process?
All this gives us a preview of the challenges that come in the way of cloud migration journey for most organizations. This is where Cloud Data Warehouse Readiness Solution (CDRS) comes in, and here's how CDRS can help address all the above issues.