?The data generated and consumed by organizations worldwide has grown exponentially in recent years challenging their IT departments to optimize their data center operations. To remain competitive in a heated marketplace, it is important for organizations to operate efficiently and be able to access and leverage their data. This makes a necessary business case for developing a data center strategy that can address data center challenges efficiently.
Wipro, along with the Outsourcing Center, recently conducted a survey on data center optimization. The survey aimed to determine the current state of organizations’ data centers as well as explore the attitudes and challenges towards data center optimization. The survey includes the views of 75 CIOs/IT heads from Fortune 1000 corporations representing a range of industries including retail, financial services, transportation/logistics, manufacturing, healthcare and telecommunications. The key findings from the report were:
- Data center strategies (IT infrastructure, applications, network and facility) clearly impact businesses.
- Most organizations operate from multiple data centers but owned fewer than half of their data centers.
- Most organizations do not know the detailed cost breakdown of each data center.
- Fewer than half of organizations have adopted alternative models for data center management.
- Lack of measurable return-on-investment is holding organizations back from moving to alternate data center management models.
It is evident that in order to meet current data center challenges, organizations need to take new approaches to data center management. Transforming the data center can enable growth, minimize risk, increase speed and agility, and lead to dramatic cost reductions. Teaming up with a mature service provider can also help an organization variabilize data center costs while delivering next-generation services.
How are you optimizing the data centers in your organization? What challenges did you face and how did you resolve them? Do write in with your thoughts