Industry: Consumer, Healthcare
Products/Services: One of the largest electronics companies in the world, currently focused in the area of healthcare and lighting.
Areas of operation: Global
The company needed to enhance presence across all digital channels to engage directly and closely with customers to understand their behavior, needs and provide meaningful products & services. However:
- Lack of consistency in product content across all digital channels was impacting customer experience
- Traditional PIM (product information management) was the single source of product data for the entire digital landscape of the company, which was making it difficult to publish through different channels as PIM products data is stored in the normalized data model
- Export processing within PIM for each output channel required heavy processing, which was impacting the cost and performance of PIM
- Wipro created an event-driven system using AWS DynamoDB and AWS Lambda which ensured that product content in the digital channels is updated as fast as possible
- The solution based on events was equipped to handle around 6 million events monthly and 200,000+ events on a daily basis
- The system was designed and developed around AWS PaaS model such as Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda, Docker and SQS
Following were the benefits realized by the
- Throughput time reduced from 12 hours to minutes.
- Time taken for full data export reduced from several days to 16 hours
- Near real-time publishing of marketing content from PIM (product information management) system to multiple digital channels carried out seamlessly
- The new platform (using AWS PaaS services) has made the solution scalable for client’s projected future growth with cloudfirst/cloudnative approach
- Consistent and high-quality content has enabled business teams to reach out to customers directly and accurately for campaigns and sales
- Event-driven system for faster processing of all datasets in cloud has made publishing to different channels simpler and faster
The hackathon which was organized by the client to solve their channel outreach middle-ware problem was a great experience not only in terms of the technology used, but also in getting an insight into the problem space. Working with a set of diverse team members, each contributing towards a different part of the solution and integrating them to give a working solution was a joy in itself.
-Shyamsundar Shanmugam DMTS - Senior Member, Modern Application Services, Wipro Limited.